Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this '64 Triumph 500 up for $400. Motor is not siezed seems to have good compression and it shifts. Said it ran a couple years ago but you know how that goes. I do have the title so registration wont be a problem.

A few more pics afte..

Read about the aluminum foil trick here on JJ and went from this..

To this...

Is the neck on this 7/8" ? The front end is really shot plus I dont like it. Can you guys lead me in the direction of what front ends will work on this?

I would like to use the original front wheel if possible...

Mainly just want to switch the front end and get it running and keep it as simple as possible. A little addition to my little stable.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

Also buddy. It's hard to tell but i think your front wheel is on backwards. It looks like you have the 68-69 style and the vent belongs on the right. So they either put the wheel on 180. Or most likely the two lower legs are on backwards thus making your wheel backwards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it does but that pic is a little of a optical illusion. I dont think its been raked. The grass hides that the front of the frame is actually tilted up and not sitting level.

Anyways what are front end guys throw one these old triumph frames?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I run a stock length '69 Bonnie front end on my '64 TR6 with a 4" or 6" over add-on hardtail section. Sits nice and low and handles great. I'd rebuild the front end ya' got with stock length or under tubes. I did mine about 25 yrs ago and it's about due for another rebuild, there really ain't much to it. That's JMO.

BTW, that's a great deal on an old '70s style scooter. Ya' could just change the tubes and bars, get it runnin' and have an old time-capsule custom.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I agree with Whacknut, just pull apart that Triumph front end and replace tubes with stock length. Then you can swap the legs anyhow if that is why your brake drum is 180'd. Some tubes, fork seals and bushings in there and you won't have to mess with it again, nice to rebuild them, and super easy to do

Tyler

·
Registered
162 Posts
A few things about your bike:

Whatever you do, flip your front wheel. That 2 leading shoe brake is designed to work with the wheel rotating in one direction only. It won't work for shit with the wheel spinning backwards. Also, that bike isn't a 1964 (or at least the frame isn't) those lugs on the front of the headstock didn't appear until 1967 and the upper frame tubes look to be the later style as well. This is good news if you go to another front end, as the earlier 500's had an odd upper steering head bearing so the off the shelf bearing conversion kits wouldn't have worked for you. Lastly, your forks look to have been converted to internal springs, this may affect your ability to shorten them.

Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whiteman thanks for the link. Was definetly considering doing that. I have a springer front end on my custom sportster.

Lowbrowcustoms, I think that is the route I'm gonna go, I see you carry them which is cool. Got a couple of things from you for my sportster and quality and service was top notch.

Bikevice I believe you are right I was wondeing about the frame. The numbers on the motor make it a '63. BUT the good news or bad how ever you want to look at it is that the pink has it as a '64 so at least registartion, insurance and all that is not going to be problem.
As far as the forks I'll find out soon enough. Hopefully I can put shoter tubes in it.

I kinda picture it as real basic, make some custom pipes, I'd like to put some shorter tubes on the front with maybe even some clip ons , dicth the tank one it and get one of those wassell style ones from lowbrow.

Before that though the frame is going to need some love, some drunk hippie really did a number on it with the welder. Some of the worst welds I've ever seen on the pegs pipe tabs etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts