Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get some shortened fork tubes for my Trumpet. Anyone have any pics they want to share. I am wanting to go 3" under. Im going to get the tubes from forking by frank in Evanston, Il. They have them in stock and machine to order. They told me they could have them ready in a day. Im running a 16"/21" tire combo and want my bike as low as possible just got my hands on some nos high pipes which will help a little w/ ground clearance.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I think I want to use some chrome mcm style covers. I thought maybe gaitors also. What do you guys think?

I like the fork covers but sometimes I think they look a little bulky and I want a lean a narrow look. Decisions... Decisions...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Luke Nosewalker said:
I think I want to use some chrome mcm style covers. I thought maybe gaitors also. What do you guys think?

I like the fork covers but sometimes I think they look a little bulky and I want a lean a narrow look. Decisions... Decisions...
I am headded in the same direction, my fork tubes are 29" overall after doing a rough mock up I have determined that a 20" - 22" will be pretty close to what I need. I was told that is a stock length and mine are 6" over. What lenght are yours currently? Do you have a contact on those guys that might be my best solution also. I tried to swap the long tubes but no takers, I have seen 22" tubes on ebay for 50 - 150 bucks. -2" would give me a 3.25" flat ride hight, I was warned not to go under or the bike will not be real rideable. What type of ground clearance are you looking at?

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
It's odd how the rat rod, 'as low as I can go' mentality has bled over into bikes. It's a great look for a show bike, but part of the fun of motorcycles is their handling.

If you want lean, no covers or gaiters. Lean is when something is...lean.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Tony Bones said:
It's odd how the rat rod, 'as low as I can go' mentality has bled over into bikes. It's a great look for a show bike, but part of the fun of motorcycles is their handling.

i think your WAY off on the rat rod thing. if anything its more of a kustom thing. and people have been lowering bikes, even stock harleys for years i dont think there is any linking.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Me and mine tool maker friend shortened my tubes 2 inches and it rides fine.If you really lay it over you can drag the kickstand.It takes a special tap because the thread on brit tubes are unique.Do it in the lathe to cut them and retapp the end that goes in the leg is easier than doing the top and tryin to cut the taper back in them.The tap is the exspensive part at about 60.00 but I can do as many as I want now.This beats waiting on tube makers.

I might have the info at home on the tap.Seems like hatch got one I fixed him up last year with the info.So it can be done on the cheap and still rideable at 2" under.Just have to be a little cautioous leanin her way over.Sometimes cool cost ya a little in functio.

As I always say the sun never sets on cool.........

Shoe

·
Registered
484 Posts
If the chrome is in good shape, (and you have the means) you can cut the long fork tubes to length required and then rethread.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
caffeine said:
i think your WAY off on the rat rod thing. if anything its more of a kustom thing. and people have been lowering bikes, even stock harleys for years i dont think there is any linking.
What I'm talking about is extreme lowness that compromises ride/drivability. Obviously people have lowered Harleys for a long time, that goes w/ out saying.

And the link is apparent, just read Old School Rodz and The Horse back-to-back. They both showcase the "hardcore," unpractically low builds of super righteous, rockabilly rebels.

Speaking of which, I saw that picture of you flexing on the black and white FL...your cuffs weren't even :)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Tony Bones said:
Speaking of which, I saw that picture of you flexing on the black and white FL...your cuffs weren't even :)
funny story on how gay it is to cuff your pants.....the other day i dropped a socket....searched the garage for EVER for the socket.....2 hours and a set of vise grips and a rounded off bolt later....a socket dropped from the cuff of my pants. the price you pay to be "kool"

now i just work on my bike in boxers in the garage.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wanting my bike low has nothing to do with the rat rod mentality Tony Boner. Lower just looks better. 2 or 3" under is not extreme.Exposed external springs kinda look like an eyesore to me.

Tony Bones said:

·
Registered
56 Posts
if you're really looking for a lean look, i think a late model narrow glide sporty front end with shaved lowers would look the cleanest.
i ran a stock oif triumph front end on my old bike, no gaiters. the new triumph has a 69 front end with mcm covers. i think the hd narrow glide would be cleaner and leaner than both.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Luke Nosewalker said:
Wanting my bike low has nothing to do with the rat rod mentality Tony Boner. Lower just looks better. 2 or 3" under is not extreme.Exposed external springs kinda look like an eyesore to me.
The quote below came from you. You're not too go at this.

Im running a 16"/21" tire combo and want my bike as low as possible just got my hands on some nos high pipes which will help a little w/ ground clearance.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As low as I can go without sacrificing rideability. I assumed that was understood when I said 2-3". Some people need shit spelled out for them.Are you happy? Im not to go at what? Rockabilly rules!
Tony Bones said:
The quote below came from you. You're not too go at this.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Luke Nosewalker said:
As low as I can go without sacrificing rideability. I assumed that was understood when I said 2-3". Some people need shit spelled out for them.Are you happy? Im not to go at what? Rockabilly rules!
The first three letters in assume...

·
Registered
361 Posts
What does this have to do with lowering the frontend? :confused: Just wondered. Now we take you back to your regularly scheduled Drama:rolleyes: Gregg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts