Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

· mucho-rake
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Irish Rich said:
Well, Todd, we must have been typing at the same time!
yeah, on long trips the others im riding with start saying, "those floorboards sure look comfortable"
and they get that look in their eye like they want to switch bikes for the rest of the ride, or remove my floorboards while im in the store buying slim jims.

i asked kevin (via email)if hes got any pics of that trans plate/ mid mounting you mentioned. i couldnt see anything on the website
 

· Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Rich, how is the shifter mechanism set up on that bike? Did you just flip the shifter arm? I'm going to need to figure that out on my 4speed at some point.

Irish Rich said:
OK, it's not a TC transmission, it's a '99-back Softie 5sp. case. You can see the clutch cable coming out of the R/H end cover, and going under the peg stand-off.
 

· TI_Tuesday
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
=mike= said:
that's what it's all about Rich . Like having an ugly girlfriend who gives great head . You have such a hard time breaking it off with her . . . :)
just start eating large amounts of asparagas...

if the bike is really wide or has a low seat mid controls are like a torture rack for me...but i do like how they look. good-lord those mids rich did are nice!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,847 Posts
Irish Rich said:
Trade-offs. Yeah, for blasting around town, and pushing thru traffic, the mids work well. But, on a long trip, they aren't comfortable, no.

My Roadglide is a pain in the ass manuvering in heavy, slow traffic, but on the highway pounding out long distance fast mileage, there is nothing better than it, or the footboard position it has.

Trade-offs.
Yeap, almost everything is a compromise. If we were strictly into comfort, we'd all be riding Ultraglides, Aspencades or ??? and wouldn't even be looking at this board. And if we built scooters that weren't ridden anywhere, we could build scooters with 50" over frontends with 60 degree rake and....... I guess we all fall in between the two extremes and how we use our bikes kinda dictates what we build. Bar hoppers, rat racers, and road runners are all a little different. Kinda what keeps things interesting.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Mid controls are a way of life.

Rearward pegs on Drag-style bikes are cool too but those are really uncomfortable...

Chopperdave,since I once asked you...this would be a good opportunity to finally post some pics of your set-up.Would be appreciated.

Cool post Knukkel ! More pics please.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
TheFrenZ said:
Mid controls are a way of life.

Rearward pegs on Drag-style bikes are cool too but those are really uncomfortable...

Chopperdave,since I once asked you...this would be a good opportunity to finally post some pics of your set-up.Would be appreciated.

Cool post Knukkel ! More pics please.
Ja sicher!
More pics please.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
Tha Nutz said:
Rich, how is the shifter mechanism set up on that bike? Did you just flip the shifter arm? I'm going to need to figure that out on my 4speed at some point.
No, it's set up just like a FXR is, straight thru the motorplate, and up. I just moved the shift lever on the 5sp back one notch on the splines. If i'd have curved the lever behind the motorplate some towards the engine, I wouldn't have needed to do that, either.

If your's is a FL 4sp, just switch out your drum stuff for the FX - done. There's also a FX linkage setup for the cowpie.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Irish Rich, question for you . . .

Rich, I was looking in the V-Twin catalog and saw the linkage setups for the FX and FL rotary tops, and it looks like the FL, not the FX, is the shifter linkage that turns down instead of up. Am I missing something? Wouldn't I want to run the FL setup for a midshift bike? I'm looking at page 161 in the online V-Twin catalog. Thanks.

Irish Rich said:
No, it's set up just like a FXR is, straight thru the motorplate, and up. I just moved the shift lever on the 5sp back one notch on the splines. If i'd have curved the lever behind the motorplate some towards the engine, I wouldn't have needed to do that, either.

If your's is a FL 4sp, just switch out your drum stuff for the FX - done. There's also a FX linkage setup for the cowpie.
 

· TI_Tuesday
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Mids and drag bars on a rigid are mid-evil-like. Mucho stretch and tons of ouch. Everything else feel like a Rolls Royce. They do make you look way hip and they also protect the case from nasty low sides. Don't ask me how I know...

 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
Knukkel said:
I'm looking for detailed pictures of mid control set-ups (rigid bigtwin) so I can steal the idea for my project.
Preferably with "male mount" types of pegs.

Thanks!
-Marc
Some bad scans...
 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
I don't mean to beat this to death but, are cast cases strong enought to support foot pegs? I want to mount my left peg on the rear 2 holes of the left side case and have them come through the open primary.

I weigh 220 and am worring about fuckin up the cases with my weight on them.

Thanks!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
XsSpeed said:
I don't mean to beat this to death but, are cast cases strong enought to support foot pegs? I want to mount my left peg on the rear 2 holes of the left side case and have them come through the open primary.

I weigh 220 and am worring about fuckin up the cases with my weight on them.

Thanks!
Why not make a set up where it can mount off the motor mount or under the trans mount?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
Big Nick said:
There you go, I think I met that same guy once.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting


this bike here the guy from the LES had his hand in, it was at a local shop many months back, that shop has since changed locations, a good bunch of guys for the most part, anyway the mids may look familiar, just flip the script on the master cylinder (felix the cat rulz ask Richie Pan)
 
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top