Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post some pics of tins painted with gloss black or flat block butted up to silver metalflake (light or dark silver)? Just have some ideas for paint and want to see how the two look togther.

Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts

This is large silver flake on black.I have more picsif you want.
Rob

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
My bike's black & silver....although I don't have any real close up pics of it.....
There's one on the board here somewhere....one of the "show your bike" threads.....sorry I can't really re-post it right now....I'm in work & they kind of frown on doing anything fun.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MMM... I like black and silver together! Simple yet effective!

I'm wondering if a heavy silver flake is going to look weird next to a gloss black? I have a blue metalflake seat, so I'm thinking a blue pinstrip between colors to match might be a nice touch and the seat would bring it out.

Any pics with a heavy silver flake next to a gloss black? Any photoshop wizards out there who could put the two together on a tank of some kind?
XCabbieS said:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, I dig Richies too.. Its classic and clean... Personally, I think that if you are running a flake seat, dont flake the tank too..too busy, unless you really dig sparkles that is.. A nice metallic silver and gloss black scheme with some royal blue striping would be sweet...at least I think it would, but then again, what the hell do I know:D

XCS

·
Registered
617 Posts
Here's a pic of Paul Cox's bike. Couldn't find a better pic but it looks pretty damn good with gloss black and big-flake silver. you can't go wrong with those colors man, it's like blue jeans and a white t-shirt.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree! That's perfect! Just the right amount and it's not like bass boat flake either. Just metallic enough to give it a little "twinkle". Thanks for posting that! That helped!

Xcab, I also agree with what you're saying about the seat being metalflake with the metalflake tank... I didn't think about that for some reason. I figured the blue in the seat would bring out the pinstriping, but I don't think it will be enough to tie it together.

Does anyone have a pic of a bike with a metalflake seat and a different colored metalflake tank of a constrasting color like we're talking about here?

Ya' know, Hank Young's Discovery Special when it was painted black and silver looked good too...
http://markvanderkwaak.com/dbbp/coolest/young_23.jpg

What would happen if I polished out the sides of the tank, mask for the primer and black and clear coated everything? Would the metal just dull or yellow after awhile? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do the paint myself.

XCabbieS said:
Ok, now that does look good...The flake isnt too overdone..just right on that one..

XCS

·
Registered
335 Posts
scootermcrad said:
What would happen if I polished out the sides of the tank, mask for the primer and black and clear coated everything? Would the metal just dull or yellow after awhile? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do the paint myself.
Scooter, I know the clear over metal has been done before, but Im not sure of what all is involved to make it work right.. If I remember correctly, yeah right, the biggest thing is getting the clear to adhere to the bare metal properly.. Maybe just a really good metallic silver? Maybe TT will chime in as he has inhaled a whole lot more paint fumes than I have:D ..
XCS

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
From what i've been told and about to do it this winter... sand like a mofo.. don't touch it with bare hands.. wipe down with grease and wax remover..still not touching it with bare hands and then clear.

like i said, i'm doing it this winter, i'll keep you guys informed.

XCabbieS said:
Scooter, I know the clear over metal has been done before, but Im not sure of what all is involved to make it work right.. If I remember correctly, yeah right, the biggest thing is getting the clear to adhere to the bare metal properly.. Maybe just a really good metallic silver? Maybe TT will chime in as he has inhaled a whole lot more paint fumes than I have:D ..
XCS

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes! Please keep us informed! I would like to see this and I'm sure there are a few others as well that would be interested!!
sparkymoffett said:
From what i've been told and about to do it this winter... sand like a mofo.. don't touch it with bare hands.. wipe down with grease and wax remover..still not touching it with bare hands and then clear.

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
it will be a while. just starting the tear down of the bike this week or next and still have a bit of fabbing to do. then the shit will go down. but yeah, i'll keep you guys up to date.

scootermcrad said:
Yes! Please keep us informed! I would like to see this and I'm sure there are a few others as well that would be interested!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I cant say that I have ever done the clear over bare metal.I am pretty much into shiny things and just about as much work would go into clear over bare metal as it would to finish her out and paint it.I would hate to do all that work put it together then have it peel off and just have to take it apart and strip it and do it over again.I have seen quite a few variations of this process.I think it can be done with some success,but its kinda becoming the new flat black IMHO.Not cuttin on ya for wantin to do it but my example would be my current Triumph.For those who have seen it it leaves a lasting impression with the paint and striping if it was bare metal it would just be another bike that didnt look finished.

I have seen one bike done with paint and then it did have some flames that were left bare metal and then sprayed with transparent candies and you could see the finish of the metal thru it.That looked pretty cool but still the problem of no primer for it to adhere to comes into play again because clears and candies really need something to adhere to it could be problems down the road.

I suppose in the next week or so if I could find some time I could try a little clear over bare metal for the I just need to know factor and see what happens.The comment about washin her down and not touchin it makes pretty good sense to me also.I do think in time the clear would yellow also and with no underlayments I believe gas would possibly effect it easier.

I think I would go with the black and silver flake.I would use the medium HOK sliver flake over a silver base or aluminium base staight off the mixing bank and it should pop nicely for ya in the sun...Ya cant go wrong with a black bike I know theres alot of them but there is a reason for that cause if done right they look so damn good and thats why ya cant go wrong with it.

These are some of my suggestion and take them for they are there worth and ultimately its your bike and it boils down to what ya want and like and nothin else matters.If ya need some help let me know I be glad to help ya if I can.

Shoe
sparkymoffett said:

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
I totally agree with ya Triumph Terror. This is going to be an experiment for my bike. Mainly because I love the bare metal look and also I have no clue what color or pattern to paint on it.

Also I agree with the HOK medium silver flakes over the silver or aluminum base. That stuff just looks shit hot.

·
Registered
568 Posts
XCabbieS said:
XCS
My last bike had bare metal polished flames going into a santari type black base. I kept a heavy coat of carnuba on it at all times and it held up okay for a while...It got completely fucked in Florida one year, though-the salty sea air did a number on it and I had to completely re-do it.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Gloss black & mica metallic (Mercedes) silver..BMW M3 yellow striping to match the yellow/gold of the '58 emblem...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm definitely leaning towards the silver flake and gloss black. Logic tells me that if the pain doesn't have something to adhere to than it will cause problems down the road... and I'm not a person who like to do shit over if I don't have to.

Thanks for the tips TT. Let us know what you find if you do the clear coat over metal test. Maybe you can put it through some test or something too.

So, any pics of constrasting metalflake seats? Maybe someone can photoshop one of those previous pics to have a contrasting seat. Maybe put a red metalflake seat (to match the pinstriping) on the one that Luke Nosewalker posted. Perfect candidate... I have a similar concept in mind but with a way different scheme and a blue pinstrip to match my seat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts