Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
What.s coming near me. Cedar Rapids and Woodstock are over 2 hrs the rest are under for me.
lilbill is right lots of shiney stuff for newer bikes and dress ups for ken and barbie. But still some finds for me anyway. Wauseon Ohio is July 15-17 and is as good as Davenport Iowa Sept 1-3.
Handwriting Font Writing Paper Paper product

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
BEAKYS having his yearly Harley only boot fair in April,
about the best single marque show here & you can get everything at it, usually 100+ stalls with sellers from all over England & Europe, a lot of vintage parts up to new twinkiebits but they are in the minority
BEAKYS HARLEY Boot Sale, date Confirmed Sunday April 3rd Pippbrook car park Dorking Surrey RH4 1SJ

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm quite shocked at that! there's a fairly big following state side for the old stuff. From people I know and what I see. Over here, JP & myself probably know a large portion of chopper owners in all of the EU. There's not many of us. I think it depends on where you are in the US too. Texas and Cali always seem to have stuff going on.. Less on the east coast that's for sure. Midwest seems to do well

Not sure if you ever look at sutff on youtube but 'Todd Blubaugh" makes some great short films. Well worth a watch.
i'm just not seeing it . lots of evo based stuff but that's probably a reflection of the age of the builder and the size of their pocketbook. showing my age here (i'm 70) but i was a chopper builder/rider before it was accepted by the mainstream. cops made a hobby out of fucking with us and i was refused service at MANY restaurants, motels, mom & pop groceries etc. if you remember the way fonda and hopper were treated in easyrider that was a spot on depiction of riding a chopper in the south for many years. in fact just 2 years ago i took a ride down to krotts springs louisiana where the final scene was shot and the locals still hate that movie . anyway, my point is that imho most people today who are buying into the "biker lifestyle" are just trying to join a tribe that no longer exists. i think it started going to hell when hollywood started rolling out all those outlaw biker movies in the 70s . there is defineately a small core of people who still get what it is really about and are keeping the flame alive and doing much better work than we ever did but imo they are the minority . i guess i'm just not a "everyone gets a trophy" kind of guy ;-)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
the older Harley scene is massive in England & Europe, always has been & always will be,
maybe not in 'The Valleys', but shed loads everywhere else considering that the size of England is only the same area as Oregon,
& per capita we probably have as many if not more chops & older Harleys than most US states with a few obvious exceptions,
& myself Being a Yank who moved here about 30 years ago working for the Military can say that with all honesty,
the same goes with parts for older models, you just need to open ya eyes & look,..especially NOS parts as Ton's apon Ton's of parts came here from the start of WW2 untill Harleys were dropped from the US military,
there are all the spares for 45's, & Knuckels, Pans, Shovels, they as good as flooded europe & it is still the place to find parts hard to find Stateside,

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
the older Harley scene is massive in England & Europe, always has been & always will be,
maybe not in 'The Valleys', but shed loads everywhere else considering that the size of England is only the same area as Oregon,
& per capita we probably have as many if not more chops & older Harleys than most US states with a few obvious exceptions,
& myself Being a Yank who moved here about 30 years ago working for the Military can say that with all honesty,
the same goes with parts for older models, you just need to open ya eyes & look,..especially NOS parts as Ton's apon Ton's of parts came here from the start of WW2 untill Harleys were dropped from the US military,
there are all the spares for 45's, & Knuckels, Pans, Shovels, they as good as flooded europe & it is still the place to find parts hard to find Stateside,
I mean, you're assuming I live in the valleys?! of course I know there's a good scene. A friend and myself are putting an event on in Bruges in August. Europe is a great scene - but compared to america it's tiny. I mean choppers mag did a chopper show at daytona and they had more pre evo harleys there than I've seen in once place ever - I've done flanders and most of the euro stuff good scene but not a pinch on America. I listen to a podcast and there's literally 30 events from now til July going on.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Joe 49 is right on. That plate is not your problem. All it does is prevent your kicker from returning too far. Check all of your kicker components, the clutch gears and bushings are the most likely culprit. Baker drive trains kit is your best option.

I did have one instance where my previous owner left the thrust washer off the kicker, and that reached all sorts of havoc, so check that too.

As for the swap meet in US scene, I'll reserve my comments, but I will say that the "picker" mentality and selling abroad has pretty much been the death knell.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Joe 49 is right on. That plate is not your problem. All it does is prevent your kicker from returning too far. Check all of your kicker components, the clutch gears and bushings are the most likely culprit. Baker drive trains kit is your best option.

I did have one instance where my previous owner left the thrust washer off the kicker, and that reached all sorts of havoc, so check that too.

As for the swap meet in US scene, I'll reserve my comments, but I will say that the "picker" mentality and selling abroad has pretty much been the death knell.
Scott,

The bushings had about 60 thou or more of slop. Definitely the culprit. All out and awaiting new ones. I've never seen the bearing retainer chewed up so I was a little confused as to what was going on. I made the assumption it would be the kicker gear before I actually opened it up (due to me having several wear out and fail. I have a baker lid on this one, it's why I've hung on to it. The N1234 is honestly such an easier life!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
When Harley came out with the softail Evo they attracted a new kind of buyer. Well heeled wanting to live the chopper lifestyle within a few years every movie star and every movie had softails. Harley dealers had giant markups and one still had to wait for his new bike. I know cause I bought a '91 Fatboy and got my free membership in Harley's outlaw club H.O.G. Love Rides were a sea of evos. My old super glide was one of the few older Harleys in attendance.
Independent Harley shops sold all their pre Evo inventory and once I was at the docks and there was an open 40 foot container that looked like somebody stood it upright and just poured Pan and Knuckle parts in.
The german buyers were also very unschooled and bought restored vintage bikes because they were Harleys and probably the same as a motley crue video bike.
Droopy my neighbor bought some guy's 45 parts collection. Enough to fill a 500 square ft shop. And if you knew droopy he was a master at buying low.
Back in the nineties you could build a paughco frame cone shovel with all new parts for $4000. Germans that visited me snapped those thing up left and right. Beause of the exchange rate those bike were dirt cheap.
I myself am guilty of reducing the amount of old bikes and parts.
Which brings me to my second point. As you know I send W&W Cycle and V-Twin parts all over the US. NY, NYC and Jersey seem to have very large chopper populations followed by Texas and Florida. Ohio is going strong but the south seems to have very few choppers. As a businessman I love dealing with southerners as they are so polite.
This picture shows a German Chopper Club in Berlin ca 1980

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
When Harley came out with the softail Evo they attracted a new kind of buyer. Well heeled wanting to live the chopper lifestyle within a few years every movie star and every movie had softails. Harley dealers had giant markups and one still had to wait for his new bike. I know cause I bought a '91 Fatboy and got my free membership in Harley's outlaw club H.O.G. Love Rides were a sea of evos. My old super glide was one of the few older Harleys in attendance.
Independent Harley shops sold all their pre Evo inventory and once I was at the docks and there was an open 40 foot container that looked like somebody stood it upright and just poured Pan and Knuckle parts in.
The german buyers were also very unschooled and bought restored vintage bikes because they were Harleys and probably the same as a motley crue video bike.
Droopy my neighbor bought some guy's 45 parts collection. Enough to fill a 500 square ft shop. And if you knew droopy he was a master at buying low.
Back in the nineties you could build a paughco frame cone shovel with all new parts for $4000. Germans that visited me snapped those thing up left and right. Beause of the exchange rate those bike were dirt cheap.
I myself am guilty of reducing the amount of old bikes and parts.
Which brings me to my second point. As you know I send W&W Cycle and V-Twin parts all over the US. NY, NYC and Jersey seem to have very large chopper populations followed by Texas and Florida. Ohio is going strong but the south seems to have very few choppers. As a businessman I love dealing with southerners as they are so polite.
This picture shows a German Chopper Club in Berlin ca 1980

View attachment 273791

Great photo, Mike.

When I saw south I mean Texas yeah. There's a lot of guys in that area. Idaho, Ohio, LA, NJ , Iowa.

I mean I get it.. FXR's are an incredible machine, worth their weight in gold almost now. The scene is solid and it's great it's still so popular. Be a sad day when it's not anymore.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Gents,

Can you enlighten me to the part nr for the attached please?

I assumed my kicker gear was dead: last time the 'ramp' was worn to death and I managed to shear two teeth. Ordered a gear before taking it apart.

Turns out it's this, I don't even know the name of it.

Thank you.

Rhys

View attachment 273769
I had this happen on my Pan, made the kicker go all the way round.. I opened up, looked at it and thought "oh hell no, i'm not taking all this apart"
cleaned as best as I could with brake cleaner and TIG welded it whilst still in place hahaha

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If your kicker is "slipping" you should also check your clutch adjustment and condition. I've seen more than one kicker gear replacement that didn't fix the slipping clutch. ;)
It was worn bushings man! they had about 50 thou play and were egg shaped. They may have been the oem ones in the pig snout as it was sat in a shed in montana since 1957 or something.

All good now!

·
Registered
346 Posts
It was worn bushings man! they had about 50 thou play and were egg shaped. They may have been the oem ones in the pig snout as it was sat in a shed in montana since 1957 or something.

All good now!
Cool. Glad you got it sussed. I figured yours probably was from the other posts. Just figured I throw my 2 cents in case someone down the road has a similar issue and starts searching. Like I said, I've seen it a few times.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Cool. Glad you got it sussed. I figured yours probably was from the other posts. Just figured I throw my 2 cents in case someone down the road has a similar issue and starts searching. Like I said, I've seen it a few times.
No of course! always appreciated, sir.

I've had the kicker cover gears shear teeth and the like with the exact same symptoms - so before I actually started taking it apart - ordered parts. Wasn't until I had it apart I was dumbfounded - but as Joe mentioned the bushings give the same symptoms. As good as new again now!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts