Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Can you enlighten me to the part nr for the attached please?

I assumed my kicker gear was dead: last time the 'ramp' was worn to death and I managed to shear two teeth. Ordered a gear before taking it apart.

Turns out it's this, I don't even know the name of it.

Thank you.

Rhys

Liquid Automotive tire Automotive lighting Drinkware Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you wanting the plate that's held on with four screws? if so... 35111-36 bearing housing retaining plate
I am, sir.

As you can probably see mines worn to shit. It's slipping badly.. It slipped and I hyper extended my knee. Still sore now so need to get it changed. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Harley Big Twin Transmission Bearing Housing Retaining Plate 1936-79 #35111-36 .
will there be anything else sir ?
are you wanting the plate that's held on with four screws? if so... 35111-36 bearing housing retaining plate
Thank you both gents. Ordered one.

I've never had the gears or spring off before. I'm pretty confident if memory serves me well it's a horrid job.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
That is not the real problem. Chisel off the burr. Then fix the problem, which is worn out bushings on the kicker shaft or a bent kicker shaft. Also the bushing in the kick start gear in the pictures.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is not the real problem. Chisel off the burr. Then fix the problem, which is worn out bushings on the kicker shaft or a bent kicker shaft. Also the bushing in the kick start gear in the pictures.
Is that what's causing the kicker to slip? I'm truly not experienced with kicker issues. I assume the kicker gear was gone hence it slipping when trying to kick through.. So if the bearing plate isn't the issue you think worn bushings? I don't believe the shaft is bent so could well be bushings!

Thank you, Joe.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe, I've got about 1/8th of 'end play' so my kicker gear is moving that much when I clamp and pull on it. I cannot find the spec for play there? Is 5 thou about right? Something has worn in there.. makes sense why it's slipping!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Slipping is worn bushing(34) in the main shaft kicker gear(33) (the one on the spring) or rounded teeth on that kicker gear(33) and starter clutch(29) (the piece at the end under the nut).

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Joe, I've got about 1/8th of 'end play' so my kicker gear is moving that much when I clamp and pull on it. I cannot find the spec for play there? Is 5 thou about right? Something has worn in there.. makes sense why it's slipping!
Pick Number in the pic I posted. If you are speaking of (21)kicker shaft 1/8'' is to loose, check if (18) washer is missing. Also check for side to side and up and down.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Went back to your pic from what I can see looks like the rachet teeth on the main shaft gear and the clutch are rounded bad enough to be part of the problem. A pic looking down would help.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pick Number in the pic I posted. If you are speaking of (21)kicker shaft 1/8'' is to loose, check if (18) washer is missing. Also check for side to side and up and down.
The washer is there but I have a load of end float there. There's no movement otherwise, bushings feel okay. I'll take one in the morning for you Joe, They're not awful from what I saw, it all meshes well, spring is in good shape too. The 1/8 end float isn't great.

Any idea what sort of play it should be? 5/10 thou?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It isn't very critical as the kickstarter shaft gear is pressed against the kicker cover so less than .030 would be my guess. I would look for wear of the kickstart cover behind the kickstarter shaft gear.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It isn't very critical as the kickstarter shaft gear is pressed against the kicker cover so less than .030 would be my guess. I would look for wear of the kickstart cover behind the kickstarter shaft gear.
As you stated the bushings are more than tired. 10 thou wear on the outer, 8 on the inner, sloppier than a new york philly steak.

fwiw taiwan ted kicker gears are junk.
They sure are. But to buy a good quality one here it's 160+ dollars. I'd rather take mine apart every 18 months and replace with cheap!

I've got like a 40 dollar one in there at the moment and it's almost like new after 2 years of use. Very shocked as I've broken teeth off them and ruined them in a much shorter timeframe in years gone by.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
As you stated the bushings are more than tired. 10 thou wear on the outer, 8 on the inner, sloppier than a new york philly steak.

They sure are. But to buy a good quality one here it's 160+ dollars. I'd rather take mine apart every 18 months and replace with cheap!

I've got like a 40 dollar one in there at the moment and it's almost like new after 2 years of use. Very shocked as I've broken teeth off them and ruined them in a much shorter timeframe in years gone by.
i've had mixed results over the years myself but it was more a problem of them binding up rather than breaking. back when swapmeets were a common thing i would buy up any oem parts i could find.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i've had mixed results over the years myself but it was more a problem of them binding up rather than breaking. back when swapmeets were a common thing i would buy up any oem parts i could find.
I get super jealous of the guys on the west coast seems there's a meet every few weeks. OEM stuff is just much better quality. Seems I've gotten a fairly good cheap one though as it's almost like new! new bushings on the menu next as my knee can't take any more!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I get super jealous of the guys on the west coast seems there's a meet every few weeks. OEM stuff is just much better quality. Seems I've gotten a fairly good cheap one though as it's almost like new! new bushings on the menu next as my knee can't take any more!
i'm in central arkansas and there just aren't any good meets down here. there are a few scattered around texas and florida but not many. i have a few friends that travel all over the country and vend but that's a hard life. also the few shows i've been to in the last couple years are almost all vendors of clothes and "lifestyle" junk and bolt on crap for late model bikes. except for a few people clinging to the past and a few young guys who get it i fear the traditional chopper is becoming a real dinosaur. i've quit building bikes to sell anymore and what chopper or vintage stuff i post for sale on the net doesn't get any action.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i'm in central arkansas and there just aren't any good meets down here. there are a few scattered around texas and florida but not many. i have a few friends that travel all over the country and vend but that's a hard life. also the few shows i've been to in the last couple years are almost all vendors of clothes and "lifestyle" junk and bolt on crap for late model bikes. except for a few people clinging to the past and a few young guys who get it i fear the traditional chopper is becoming a real dinosaur. i've quit building bikes to sell anymore and what chopper or vintage stuff i post for sale on the net doesn't get any action.
I'm quite shocked at that! there's a fairly big following state side for the old stuff. From people I know and what I see. Over here, JP & myself probably know a large portion of chopper owners in all of the EU. There's not many of us. I think it depends on where you are in the US too. Texas and Cali always seem to have stuff going on.. Less on the east coast that's for sure. Midwest seems to do well

Not sure if you ever look at sutff on youtube but 'Todd Blubaugh" makes some great short films. Well worth a watch.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts