Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got three panhead projects going, the '60 and the '62 are fairly stock rebuilds, 74's, the third one is a '59 with 93" S&S innards. Have two stock 4sp's, I rebuilt with all new parts where needed inside, going to run them on the '60 and the '62.

Need a tranny for the '59, 4 speed is good for me, no freeways here to go flying down, mostly 60 mph and under, mostly under around here.

Have been reading every post I can find on 4 and 5 speed trannies, both OEM and aftermarket. Seems to be a lot of divided opinion, particularly on the RevTech trannies.

Have been looking at the OEM early Shovel E-start 4 speeds, would like to have both E-start and a kicker for that 93". The OEM trannies I've seen seem to run from a low of $400 to a high of $800. When I see a "recently rebuilt" comment, and I ask for a list of the parts that went into the "rebuild", I never get an answer. Buying an early shovel E-start 4 sp with a kicker for $400 and up sounds to me like a "pig inna poke" disaster, most likely a gear box full of junk, but ya never know, real deals do exist out there sometimes.

Was on the mainland last week, and went to the Abate swap meet in Monroe, WA, saw a promising empty ratchet top case with "ears", (E-start) for $150, but really was looking for a complete tranny. Saw another one, no kicker though, for asking of $600, seller did not know the condition of the innards, and when I turned the shaft and worked the ratchet, it seemed pretty clunky inside, and would tend to hang between gears, not smooth like the rebuilt ones I have at home, so passed on it. Felt that even if I came back at the end of the day and offered $400, not sure I wanted to take that chance. The box had weld repairs on it, which could mean nothing, but still.....

So looks like I'm going to buy a new tranny, or get an S&S case and build my own, that way I know I'll have a solid box behind my 93".

Just from the comments I've read here and other places, looks like I want to stay away from the RevTech boxes. But open to comments on that.

The only cases I see when I look around are mostly the S&S "5 into a 4 speed", but I am totally unfamiliar with them. Whose parts go into these cases? S&S? Andrews? Baker? Just not familiar with it. And, can these be built as a 4 speed? I would think a set of 4 speed gears would be beefier then a set of 5 speed gears in the same case.... ?

And I haven't run into a new, complete trannies, US built, E-start, kicker, 4 speed or 5 speed I would consider. Any suggestions? I have an early Shovel inner and outer primary I can bolt up to my '59 motor and use with the early style E-start 4-speed.

And any links you guys can suggest where I can read up more on this would be greatly appreciated. Have hunted around the S&S site, but have not found much yet. Have not tried yet to look for info on Andrews or Baker, don't even know if they are still in business....

·
Registered
941 Posts
Cal products make a good transmission case. I believe they have been discontinued recently, but they will probably still have some in stock.

http://www.cal-products.com/c11info.html

Andrews are still around & make complete gear sets in normal or close ratio.

I'm building up a box from a Cal Products case right now. It's buying all the small parts that add up. I'll probably have spent close to what a new Baker box would cost by the time I'm done.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/4-speed

The Revtech boxes aren't too bad from what I've read. You get what you pay for, basically. Depends how hard you treat it as to what you will need, I suppose.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
In a stroker Pan on an island a three speed is more than sufficient....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If your on a budget go with a OEM 1965 and up style case with the electric start primary setup
build it with some andrews gears and baker kicker gears and other quality parts

I had an OEM case with andrews internals that I built behind my 93" stroker shovel been behind that motor for over 6 years now doesnt skip a beat

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hummmmmmmmm ..... Ele. start 93" Blown Panhead...... With a six ina Four....

Well...... It could be a idea....??
Well, it was an idea for quite awhile, but I hadda get real about that oem '59 case holdin up, so it ain't gettin the Jerry Magnuson deal....
(that's goin on the 88" STD motor I "inherited" from a brother recently....)

Still, my ancient knees shudder at the idear of kickin that 93 to life, so want both (estart and kicker). After it's warmed up and tuned properly, I figgur I oughta be able to profile a lil anyways when out riden with the bruddahs and kick it to life once inna while..
Or embarrass myself completely, but I'm pretty good at that already....

Didn't know about the Cal case, have been looking at these and tryin to figure my budget to stuff it with good things....

And yer right, Rubone, 3 gears would be plenty around here....

Will check out the Cal cases also, thanks for the lead....
Willy

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
They tell me it's the only place on Planet Earth (Haleakala Volcano on Maui) where there's a road that goes from the edge of the ocean to 10,000' in a record short distance of 35 miles!

When the weather's good, it's a magnificent ride, but dress warmly, it may be the subtropics, but at 10,000' it does get chilly! We do get snow up there every once inna winter while....
Lasts about a couple of days usually....

The National Park Service controls the upper part of that road now, and they close it off when it does snow, but in the old days, we'd bundle up and ride up there until we couldn't go any further, slippin and slidin around, never had any bad accidents though, it was always a gas !!!!

And there's only the one road, so if ya wanna go down the other side, ya gotta hike down into the crater and out the "gap" on the other side. Have done it many, many times with my family (and with my buddies hunting wild pig and goat.)...

Got photos stashed away somewhere of ridin in the snow up there, if I find 'em will start a thread on that subject...
Willy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts