Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a question on the spacing of the rear drum, I'm running a early shovel hub(sealed bearing) juice backing plate of unknown year and a weld on hard tail from the 70's somewhere.what I have run into is this I have to put a .700 spacer in between the axle plate and the backing plate to get the rear tire centered in the frame and at this point the factory right side spacer is about .312 too long and the mounting stud for the backing plate has about three threads sticking out.The other problem is the backing plate sleeve is too short I cannot run a washer between the axle plate and the nut for the sleeve without running out of threads again.Is there another factory spacer setup for the juice drum or am I stuck making my own parts.

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
A couple things to look at. You will need to modify spacers, but set it up for the CHAIN LINE to be correct. Usually that causes the tire to be off center slightly due to the width of the drum. It can be correctly offset to run straight and centered in the frame. The spacing on rigid frames (even aftermarket) is narrower than a swingarm. It is not hard to set up but if the chain isn't lined up you will have major issues.
Robbie

Reactions: Davv

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have the same problem w/ the shank that holds the backing plate to the frame. My guess is I'll have to machine a new, longer one. I was told they didn't make longer ones since they didn't have "weld on" hardtails back then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.