Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely post but read this site all the time and really like it. Enough sucking up though and was wondering what to look for in pan cases besides the obvious cracks and visual certainties.
I picked up a motor that was used as demonstration for a companies chrome products and it has the heads, jugs, cases, and a few other things but no internals.
I can't see any thing wrong with the cases but have not split them yet so just looking for things to look for. Just checking to see if I can sell it or rebuild it or just end up using it as a cool conversation piece depending on what it is.

Thank you for any thoughts, Bill

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
titled? mickey mouse's face where a number should be on the VIN pad?
always look for mickey mouse,or any other of the looney tunes character's.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I agree that the number pad and numbers are the most important consideration. Look at the belly numbers on the bottom of the case too. It's nice if they match, means the cases were line bored together at the factory. Otherwise, you could have a mismatched left and right that need to be checked for alignment. Also look at the cavity for the breather gear. It gets gouged sometimes. There's an over sized breather available, or the cavity can be bored and sleeved, if need be. Have someone who has done it before do it. It's easy to get it "off" by just a little bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like all the numbers are gone. I have a bill of sale from the owner of the business but I can't figure why they would get rid of them even if it was a display motor. It was a reputable business for decades. I will look closer at the belly for numbers.

It will make a hell of a display piece if nothing else. I will try to post pics of it anyway.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
besides number boss being good you would want to check the cam chest area make sure all the idler shaft holes are not oblonged .

next i would check the breather gear for gouges if their are light one they could be ok huge one can be machined out to over sized breather gear

after that would be cam bushing or bearing look for cracks that extend around the bushing area if it a bearing see if the bearing is loose

last thing i would look at the gasket surfaces to see if some one scraped the gasket with a wood chisel and a hammer most surfaces can be remachined the only one that get a little scary is the oil pump

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
It looks like all the numbers are gone. I have a bill of sale from the owner of the business but I can't figure why they would get rid of them even if it was a display motor. It was a reputable business for decades. I will look closer at the belly for numbers.

It will make a hell of a display piece if nothing else. I will try to post pics of it anyway.

Thanks, Bill
The numbers are gone, then I'd say you'd be wasting your time trying to build the motor. Yeah, check for belly numbers and post pics. IF all else fails, make yourself a nice lamp and be done.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
if no numbers on the VIN boss(pad),and the vin pad has not been screwed with,they could be factory HD replacement cases....but even then,they would have numbers on the bottom.
you may be able to use the other parts still though if you pick it up. if the cases are no good,use it for a candy bowl for the halloween kids.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If they are factory replacement cases, they won't have a full bottom number. At least in my case and a few others i have seen, that are factory replacement, the bottom numbers will be two maybe 3 digits at most. instead of the normal 148-xxxx or whatever it may be.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
If they are factory replacement cases, they won't have a full bottom number. At least in my case and a few others i have seen, that are factory replacement, the bottom numbers will be two maybe 3 digits at most. instead of the normal 148-xxxx or whatever it may be.
exactly. thats what my set of factory replacement cases have.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have never owned a pan, where on the belly would they be? I want to look for a sign where they might have been. I am just curious as to what is up with this motor.
I am not trying to conceal anything on my questions on this and would not be afraid to show it to anyone as to where or how I got this, just wanted to throw that out there cuz I realize this seems not good not finding any numbers.
Thanks again for the info so far.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
I have never owned a pan, where on the belly would they be? I want to look for a sign where they might have been. I am just curious as to what is up with this motor.
I am not trying to conceal anything on my questions on this and would not be afraid to show it to anyone as to where or how I got this, just wanted to throw that out there cuz I realize this seems not good not finding any numbers.
Thanks again for the info so far.
Belly numbers or line bore numbers would be on the bottom of each case. For a 1948, you could have an E or an F motor. The belly numbers for a '48 would like something like this: 148-XXXX(X) or 248-XXXX(X). The 1 denotes a 74" F engine and the 2 denotes a 61" E engine, the 48 is the year and then the 4 or 5 digits are the sequential number of each case half. Also, an F engine would have a "7" stamped on each case, very near to where the rear motor mount bolts go.

Here is a picture I lifted from Chris Haynes website: http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Numbers/?g2_page=4

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: pan numbers

No #s on the outside but inside on the rightr side has 24563-58 B and 55 right below that.
Left side has 24541 55 and an E below that side.

Anyone have any info on that pleasThankyou, Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been dissambling the motor and the heads seem to be in decent shape but I have to get the valves and springs off to see what the seats look like.
The jugs are in good shape and are both bored to 3.457 and still have the crosshatch marks on them. One says A 30-6 and the other A 13-6.

The breather opening looks very good and measures 1.125. I don't know if that is standard size or not though.

It has lifter blocks and a generator that turns and looks good but I do not know if it works. It also has a dual point dist. that is stuck in the case. It looks good so i need advice on how to free it, probably just stuck from sitting for years. Came with a ribbed cam cover also and an oil pump that is just a shell .

This engine was probably used for display decades ago and had been sitting for a long time, probably was put in service as a display for the chrome nuts long ago before these pans were so valuable.

With my modest knowledge of bikes, I just can't really see much wrong with the cases visually and I don't want to make a ornament out of it if I don't need to. I need to get some picsup I know.

Thanks for all the comments (except for mickey mouse or whatever it was) so far, Bill

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have been dissambling the motor and the heads seem to be in decent shape but I have to get the valves and springs off to see what the seats look like.
The jugs are in good shape and are both bored to 3.457 and still have the crosshatch marks on them. One says A 30-6 and the other A 13-6.

The breather opening looks very good and measures 1.125. I don't know if that is standard size or not though.

It has lifter blocks and a generator that turns and looks good but I do not know if it works. It also has a dual point dist. that is stuck in the case. It looks good so i need advice on how to free it, probably just stuck from sitting for years. Came with a ribbed cam cover also and an oil pump that is just a shell .

This engine was probably used for display decades ago and had been sitting for a long time, probably was put in service as a display for the chrome nuts long ago before these pans were so valuable.

With my modest knowledge of bikes, I just can't really see much wrong with the cases visually and I don't want to make a ornament out of it if I don't need to. I need to get some picsup I know.

Thanks for all the comments (except for mickey mouse or whatever it was) so far, Bill
(Mickey Mouse) meaning in the begining,IF IT DID have VIN numbers,make sure they weren't screwed with. AKA-Mickey Mouse.
But whatever. im sure you'll figure it out and have a nice motor in the end.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.