Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i have this pan.. one day i will get around to working on it.

I was thumbing through a clymer guide on pans and in it... it said something about thick and thin gaskets.. thick and thin "D" rings.. and aluminum pans being "early" 50's and rare?

Whats the story?.. most guys i see run chromed steel pans with thin "D" rings... thick or thin or combinations of rings and gaskets? which one works best? and what about the the pans.. what works best original aluminum or aftermarket steel?

Also.. an oil question..

So stock HD's usually have the oil tank under the seat... sort of level with the mid-height portion of the motor. What would happen if i had an oil tank above the motor.. would the oil pump seal.. meaning.. would the oil drain down and the entire engine fill up on oil?

Just had those thoughts last night driving home...

School me.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
magnet said:
SO i have this pan.. one day i will get around to working on it.

I was thumbing through a clymer guide on pans and in it... it said something about thick and thin gaskets.. thick and thin "D" rings.. and aluminum pans being "early" 50's and rare?

Whats the story?.. most guys i see run chromed steel pans with thin "D" rings... thick or thin or combinations of rings and gaskets? which one works best? and what about the the pans.. what works best original aluminum or aftermarket steel?

Also.. an oil question..

So stock HD's usually have the oil tank under the seat... sort of level with the mid-height portion of the motor. What would happen if i had an oil tank above the motor.. would the oil pump seal.. meaning.. would the oil drain down and the entire engine fill up on oil?

Just had those thoughts last night driving home...

School me.
If the mounting area on the covers is perfectly flat and you don't tighten the bolts up enough to warp them, then it doesn't really matter which gasket you use. But in a less than perfect world, I like to use the thick gaskets (if the cover will still clear the frame) and thick d-rings. Actually, I like the CCE thick aluminum covers, but that's another story. The original covers, aluminum or tin, fit better than any aftermarket tin
cover I've used.
ALL older Harleys, not just Panheads, will let the oil flood the bottom end if you let them set long enough. Then, when you crank them up they puke oil out of the breather tube for a while. After you let them clear out and check the oil, they'll be ok until you let them set again.
Off to work.
Larry T

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah.. i guess i will have to make sure that that the little ball bearing and spring check valve and the seat for it are near perfect...

I didn't even think about clearance.. geeze thanks for bringing that up....

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
i run the alum covers with the big d rings,no leaks but they are louder than the steel ones,as far as bein rare i think they started usein them after 55 or so.but what the fuck do i know paid 5 bucks each 20 yrs ago.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Magnet, I have two Pans,a'51 w/ tin pans and a '60 w/ steel pans. Both leak, if you don't take care of them. Late motors in early frames could give you a clearance problem, the reverse is no problem. Also, early Pans had small bearing bottom-ends, late had the larger bearing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...

I am going to go with some steel pans i believe.. clean up the aluminum ones and hang them on the wall in the garage..

I just pulled the heads off and the inside is freaking pristine.. hash marks from the hone are brand new looking.. thing just sat for a while.

Come to find out.. the case is '59.. the heads are '56.

Looks like i may not have a rebuild on my hands :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts