Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the head gaskets on my panhead. And I reinstalled the mallory a556 distributor per the instructions. I got it started with about 75 kicks and a squirt of berrymans carb cleaner. It ran for about four minutes . I looked down at the super e and a little gas is squirting and misting out. I put the breather on and it ran for about two more minutes, then died. 80 kicks later it wont start. It ran before. The only thing I changed is milled .008 off the heads to clean them up and installed new head gaskets and spark plugs. What do I need to do next?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
did you remove the dist when you had the heads off ?
if so it sounds like maybe the timing is off
i would go through the static timing procedure and make sure the timing is correct

·
Registered
553 Posts
yep timming, also maybe valve adjustment might be rechecked. a pan should start in 1-3 kicks, very reliable especially with a modern carb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I removed the distributor, it died while I was getting my timing light. then I couldn't get it started again. I will definitely check the timing. and the valves are something else I wasn't sure about how to set them. I ordered a manual but it isn't in yet. I will just recheck everything, and keep trying.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Solid or hydraulic lifters? We can talk you through the valve adjustment. Do you know how to correctly set the timing?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yeah theres plenty of info on the internet on valve adjustment and static timing
adjust the valves first the go through the static timing procedure
should not take long at all and you will be able to get it started then time it with a light if needed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts