Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first panhead and started stripping it down barebones. But i need a basic wiring diagram for it. Its got one wire coming off the generator and thats throwing me off. im assuming its got a biult in regulator in it??????Its a 58 kick only and my foot is sore as hell from trying to kick it so many times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations on your first "Painhead" build. Without seeing your generator it's hard to say what's up with the single wire. The Cycle Electric(the best around imo) with a "built in" electronic regulator has two wires coming out. I've never seen a generator with wire/wires just hanging out. In all my experience the gennies have two posts. Posts which are marked F(field) and A(armature). Any chance of uploading a photograph? Diagnosing electrical problem from a distance is hard, blind is close to impossible..

·
Registered
163 Posts
My cycle e generator only has one wire coming out. I haven't got around to hooking up the generator light. There should be two terminals, one of the terminals should have a B stamped next to it for battery and the other ternimal L for your generator light.

·
Administrator
7,802 Posts
My cycle e generator only has one wire coming out. I haven't got around to hooking up the generator light. There should be two terminals, one of the terminals should have a B stamped next to it for battery and the other ternimal L for your generator light.
Yep, one wire if you're not using a generator light.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it has 2 posts, but only one wire is hooked to the post. Ill upload a pic of it in a couple min.

·
Registered
163 Posts
yea it has 2 posts, but only one wire is hooked to the post. Ill upload a pic of it in a couple min.
If I remember from my generator if your looking at the front of the generator the terminal on the right is the one that should be labelled with the "B" for battery.

·
Administrator
7,802 Posts
All you need is one wire, unless you want a generator light?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
having issues trying to upload the pics i took. Im not the greatest computer guy!! But yea the wire on the right of my gen is going to the battery. And after doing more research, the reg is built in the gen. But I think the positive side of the coil goes to same side of the switch the generator goes to. Im running a basic 20 amp toggle that on the OFF side i have the possitive side of the battery running to and on the ON side i have the gen wire and the possitive side of the coil? If that makes any sence. I wish i could upload pics but ive spent that last 2 hours trying to read and figure how to do it. Sorry guys....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Trying to remember off the top of my head how I wired mine with out looking at that easyrider wiring diagram. So here goes...

red wire off distributor to positive on coil and black wire off dist to negative on coil. Your positive off your battery and your battery terminal off your generator should go to your ign. switch.

Do a search for easyrider simple wiring diagram, you'll find what your looking for

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, that sounds rite to me. Thats how i have it hooked up. But im thinking my coil is bad cause im not getting any spark when i kick it. Im just finding new things as im digging.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Ya gotta have two wires going to the regulator, unless you have the regulator on the end of the generator. There are a couple of different kinds. The Cycle Electrics style has fins on the end, but there are a couple that fit under the chrome end cover.
Larry T

Just looked, it's a Cycle Electrics 12 volt generator with the regulator on the end. It just uses one wire going to the battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts