Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out this floorboard "restoration" bracket kit I got from J&P. The original floorboard tabs have been cut off the wishbone frame I have, and its got a hydraulic brake setup for the rear instead of the stock mechanical.

I think I've got the front mounts fine. The lousy brackets for the rear don't seem to fit anywhere. There's three of them to choose from. I think I've got the primary side one right, but its so close to the primary cover it won't be able to come off (stud mount) to get the primary off, and I don't think the primary will come off with the mount there to get the mount off. And for the cam side of the bike the only combo that seems to work places the floorboard at a totally different angle than the primary side when its set up to fit together.

I was wondering if anyone here has used the kit, or has any tips or pictures of stock parts to compare with. It's not a huge problem, this bike isn't going to be an original restoration. I'm just trying to figure out how to save myself making the brackets from scratch.

Thanks - Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
nimrod, you must sell me that knuck in the vl frame. it is taking up too much space in your shop! LOL that is gonna be a killer bike when you finish it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
knucklehead said:
nimrod, you must sell me that knuck in the vl frame. it is taking up too much space in your shop! LOL that is gonna be a killer bike when you finish it.
Thanks, I'm excited about starting on that one. The ideas are coming together and I think it'll be neat.

Check out the nifty dual bulb (high low) small diameter headlamp thats going on the knuckle, I love the non-fluted lens. I think it must be an old motorcycle lamp, but I have no idea what from.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Check out the nifty dual bulb (high low) small diameter headlamp
That headlight is the shit. I love that thing. I wanted to do something similar with mine. Of course I didn't have a bucket like that, so I'd have to make one. I still may. One day. Nah, I probably won't.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That knuckle.. it just gave me some serious wood.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
richard cranium said:
PS- The yellow book on the bottom is the Reader's Digest Do it Yourself Manual.
I think your right. How the hell could you tell that from the photo? I've got so many books now I dedicated a room to be my library. The books out in this building are overflow....the sad thing is I can't find the time to read.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tony Bones said:
The mount for your left floorboard (sitting on the bike) droops down more than the right one does. Here's a couple pictures from a '63 swingarm frame:
Thanks for the info Tony. It'll help maybe....still nothing seems to just fit. I think I'll have to do a little fab work to make it all come together.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Nimrod said:
Thanks for the info Tony. It'll help maybe....still nothing seems to just fit. I think I'll have to do a little fab work to make it all come together.
they repop 2 diffrent mounts to the frame,,those look like the shit ones,,if that helps

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JOCK E SHIFT said:
they repop 2 diffrent mounts to the frame,,those look like the shit ones,,if that helps
Your right...they're shit ones for sure. Only mail-order catalog I've got on hand is a J&P. I'm wondering if the hydraulic brake setup mounts the boards out a little further, and that the brackets are for mechanical?

What year did they start using a hydraulic rear brake?

But regardless I'll make it work, I'll just have to break out the saw and torch!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Nimrod said:
1958, but they were adapted to a lot of earlier, rigid framed scooters.

·
Registered
391 Posts
juice floorboard mounting arms are diferent than mechanical arms, but the boards were the same mounting dimentions since 1914 & the frame tabs the same from 1936 thru 1964 (left side) & much later (at least thru 1984) on the right.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The beach bars are kinda cool. Back in high school, my buddy's dad had a swingarm Shovel that had the same stripped down cruiser vibe, just the stance wasn't as right. Guess that's the swingarm disadvantage.

If someone told me they were putting a 21" rim on a cruiser, I'd call them nuts. Somehow you pulled it off. What's going on with the headlight and tree covers?

The only thing I'm not feeling is the seat. On second thought, maybe I even dig that.

Kudos, man. Your bikes are good.

Ed

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
richard cranium said:
The beach bars are kinda cool. Back in high school, my buddy's dad had a swingarm Shovel that had the same stripped down cruiser vibe, just the stance wasn't as right. Guess that's the swingarm disadvantage.

If someone told me they were putting a 21" rim on a cruiser, I'd call them nuts. Somehow you pulled it off. What's going on with the headlight and tree covers?

The only thing I'm not feeling is the seat. On second thought, maybe I even dig that.

Kudos, man. Your bikes are good.

Ed
Hey thanks Ed, The seat is not staying, I'll be using an original type solo seat moved back and lowered a little. And I'm not sure about the 21 either....but it'll stay for now. Headlight and tree covers will stay, that BIG headlight bugs me a little though. I want the bike to look like a stock old harley to the average joe, kind of a mild custom.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Nimrod said:
Your right...they're shit ones for sure. Only mail-order catalog I've got on hand is a J&P. I'm wondering if the hydraulic brake setup mounts the boards out a little further, and that the brackets are for mechanical?

But regardless I'll make it work, I'll just have to break out the saw and torch!

howdy Jeff -

ya need to call J&P & have them send their 'vintage' catalog .. most of that stuff is the same as v-twin Ted's ..

they have 3 different 'grades' of those lugs, from 'make-do' to resto-exact ..

see : http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=6FB7F58D-79E6-4A6D-B8DC-BF904F689121 ..

think you got a good answer on the different square-rod brackets .. I've been having a time getting a set together to mount well on a 57 frame w/mechanical brake .. ended up with some out of a new 'kit' then mixing/matching with a bunch of loose ones ..

that's the kind of bits & hardware you can find sometimes in misc. lots or batches cheap ebay .. and worthwhile when you're needing it ..

good luck -

Doug ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts