Jockey Journal Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very nice. Nothing better than drag pipes on a Pan, well maybe a Sportster a close second. Half moon footboards also a excellent choice. Respect your talent, enjoy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I got a rebuild kit and cleaned the carburetor. Gave it a couple prime kicks. Key on one kick fired up but ran at high idle like way to fast.
throttle stuck shut it down
Carb set at S&S factory settings again
I’ll try again tomorrow.
I've always run that carb without the return cable and never had an issue with the throttle sticking. The Super E has a pretty strong return spring. Did you take the throttle plate out when you rebuilt it, and if so, did you work the throttle a few times with the plate screws loose so it could align itself with the bore before tightening the screws? Misalignment could cause it to stick. Did you assemble the return spring correctly (enough winds)? Same for the spring on the accelerator pump side of the shaft. If you can press the pump plunger down and get a squirt then the diaphragm is good and the problem is in that actuating linkage (maybe positioned wrong). The S&S factory settings are a good starting point. Unless your timing is off or you have an intake manifold leak or other problem like very low compression those settings should get you started every time. Just some things to think about. Good luck to a fellow pan man. Nice bike, by the way.
Jim

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
the only reason that Harley started using two throttle cables was because the Feds told them, they play no use what so ever in the working of a carb other than their rules...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks that’s all good advice !
I got it running really good now waiting on a new throttle cable. When I disassembled the bike I had taken off the plate that the throttle cable hooks to and I didn’t have it on right. After rebuilding the Excelerator pump and putting the carburetor kit in I reattached the plate that the cable hooks to and got the spring working correctly working as it should now thank you

41 - 45 of 45 Posts