Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a few short rides in on the panhead no major issues
until today it started missing bad and died when I went to help a buddy rebuilding his 68 shovel chop he’s had since the 70s
Anyway put a new battery in started 2nd kick I took off running great. Made 1 more stop fired up 3rd kick before I got home it started missing again.
Alternator is not charging The alternator conversion was on the motor when I got it so long story short can these little alternators be rebuilt ? is it worth messing with with it ?maybe change it out to a new one
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My .02. Shit can the Vtwin alt. Put a 65A and a solid state regulator back on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've just been trying to fix one of these alternators on an ironhead that wasn't charging. Here are some instructions I found helpful, including troubleshooting.

- I would test the alt is actually the problem not the reg - in my case the alt turned out to be fine, it was a bad regulator.
You can test it easily per the instructions - disconnect the reg, hook up a multimeter to the plug on the alternator.. + on one side, - on the other. Start the bike.. you should get 12v at idle, up to 26-27v when you rev. If so, alt is good and I'd look at the reg, then battery, check the ground cable, etc.
- Also if you're running a small battery the alt might be too grunty for it and may have cooked it. Instructions say they require a big battery.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've just been trying to fix one of these alternators on an ironhead that wasn't charging. Here are some instructions I found helpful, including troubleshooting.

- I would test the alt is actually the problem not the reg - in my case the alt turned out to be fine, it was a bad regulator.
You can test it easily per the instructions - disconnect the reg, hook up a multimeter to the plug on the alternator.. + on one side, - on the other. Start the bike.. you should get 12v at idle, up to 26-27v when you rev. If so, alt is good and I'd look at the reg, then battery, check the ground cable, etc.
- Also if you're running a small battery the alt might be too grunty for it and may have cooked it. Instructions say they require a big battery.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out The alternator won’t work with the small battery and since I run a small battery and use the extra room In the horseshoe oil tank for a few tools I’ll be switching over to a new generator with solid-state regulator design to work with the small battery

·
Registered
67 Posts
buy a cycle electric generator with built in regulator 10+ years running on my pan no regrets the only charging issues I've ever had was with connections breaking basically crimp connections

1 - 6 of 6 Posts