Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just painted the cream outline seperating the black and red on my tank and it turned out great except for a few little spots. What do you guys do about bleed through on all your fancy paint jobs? How do you touch it up and how do you prevent it?

·
Registered
591 Posts
*If the red base is DRY single stage or clear coat, just use an X-acto blade and gently scrape the gold bleed throughs off. Make sure the gold is dry. Angle the blade so the point does NOT dig in, you just want to shave it.

*If the black is solid with no pearl, re-mask it, scuff it with a gray scotchbrite and LIGHTLY dust more black on the bad areas. Take your time, don't make it too wet.

*Clear the whole tank. It'll look more finished, and if you find more flaws you can sand it, fix them and clear it again. FUN!

NEXT TIME...

Try using the "green" (it's actually kinda tan) FINE LINE tape by 3M. After you lay it out, go back over it with the back of your fingernail until it looks darker. ESPECIALLY the pointy areas. On a big design like that 1/8th inch should work fine.

Outline masking is cool because you can use ANY style paint you want (even metalflake) for the detail stripe, points are dagger sharp, and you can clear over and bury the design with minimal hassle.

Learn to stripe by hand too. It's old school, you don't need to clear over the graphics and you can use the striping to hide flaws.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I painted EVERY one of my first bikes at least twice! You get good fast but you keep less of the money...

I forgot to congratulate you Django on doing your own paint, then posting pictures of the mistakes and asking questions to make it better. With balls that big you'll be a rock star in no time. Can I be on your show?

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
i second that!!! man i've made soooooo many mistakes already BUT, ya learn from them.

good job so far!

Conder said:
I painted EVERY one of my first bikes at least twice! You get good fast but you keep less of the money...

I forgot to congratulate you Django on doing your own paint, then posting pictures of the mistakes and asking questions to make it better. With balls that big you'll be a rock star in no time. Can I be on your show?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, I'll never have my own show cause I don't have good hair.... or any hair for that matter. :D Thanks for the compliments.

Caffeine, I just used blue line tape. I pinstripe a little, but I am not that good. My line quality sucks. I don't practice enough. I thought I would do it by hand, so I practiced first going through Hot Rod and trying to follow the body lines on cars. It was waaay too wobbly for me to even think of trying it on the tank. So I taped it.

My cheating does not end at the stripe though... it is just a rattlecan paint job. I'm going to see if I can find someone to clear it for me.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Django said:
Haha, I'll never have my own show cause I don't have good hair.... or any hair for that matter. :D Thanks for the compliments.

Caffeine, I just used blue line tape. I pinstripe a little, but I am not that good. My line quality sucks. I don't practice enough. I thought I would do it by hand, so I practiced first going through Hot Rod and trying to follow the body lines on cars. It was waaay too wobbly for me to even think of trying it on the tank. So I taped it.

My cheating does not end at the stripe though... it is just a rattlecan paint job. I'm going to see if I can find someone to clear it for me.
i..i know a guy that can do rattle can better than someone with a 500$ gun and HoK paint and make it look 10x better...

the ONE thing he always told me is LESS IS MORE. especially doing designs or taping anything. if you taped the pinstripe. rather than blast it right away with a heavy coat (which will get ya seepage around the paint) a light "dusting" just a split second dusting barely covering, let it tack...then another dusting, until its all covered, and youll be good.

same thing with anyone who says you cant clear over 1-shot ive NEVER had a problem and ive done it with the SHITTIEST of paint/rattlecan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As long as we are talking tape, when do you pull the tape off? Does it have any effect on bleeding? I've heard people say to pull it off when the paint is wet. BTW, I think your tank looks kick ass. Rattle can or not.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
caffeine said:
i..i know a guy that can do rattle can better than someone with a 500$ gun and HoK paint and make it look 10x better...
I know someone that can roll house paint on better than those $25 spray can jobs.....

-Jason

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Rockstar Rockstar your spray can job looks good from afar......:D

My best results are when its wet to untape it and pull at a angle away from the wet area.I am with tim I have better luck with the green fine line tape.Just have to be careful to not turn it to tight as it will tear easier.

Get your shit done and send it to me and I will clear it gratius for ya.I can ship it back no charge also.So that means the only thing its gonna cost ya is shipping to the shop in Indy.Let me know if ya want to do this.....Looks good by the way just let me know if your sending it so I can go to the dollar store and get some cans of clear.....:D

I Heart you
Shoe
XOXOXO

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
caffeine said:
does he hand rub laquer? if so hook a brotha up! :D

besides, Don'tcha make fun of Barnett like that.........he's sensitive ya know...........
We cant go baggin on Barnett, he's in Vegas and cant defend himself.

Did I mention he can tape perfect lines with masking tape???

-Jason

1 - 20 of 21 Posts