Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Ill admit that I am completely ignorant when in comes to paint, so im asking for some help here.. My friend is going to spray my tank and fender for me, I just need to get the proper materials..so The color we are shooting is a metalflake rootbeer color, anyone know of a manufacturer, and where to get it? What else do I need to get him? Clear coat? Hardener? Im a dumbass here guys, and he kinda left me on my own to figure out what I need to make this happen..So, suggestions??
Thanks
Cab

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
XCabbieS said:
Okay, Ill admit that I am completely ignorant when in comes to paint, so im asking for some help here.. My friend is going to spray my tank and fender for me, I just need to get the proper materials..so The color we are shooting is a metalflake rootbeer color, anyone know of a manufacturer, and where to get it? What else do I need to get him? Clear coat? Hardener? Im a dumbass here guys, and he kinda left me on my own to figure out what I need to make this happen..So, suggestions??
Thanks
Cab
wow,,you need a bunch.Root beer is a house of kolor kandy.qt 60 bucks.hardner 20 bucks..your gonna need a base coat,,thats your choice.MOST but not all kandys are shot over either silver or gold,but you can do whatever you want...Flake is optional,,hok silver base is pretty coarse but more flake wouldnt hurt about 50 bucks for flake..Now ya get a shitload of clear to bury the flake.HOK UC35 Is what i use .qt will do a tank and fender,about 75 bucks with hardner..Still your gonna need primer and sealer,,talk to your local guy..check your phonebook..if your in jersey i can help you out with suppliers but i dont know where your at.A candy job is a lot of work and expensive and ya gotta know how to do it..Not for a backyard painter,,for good results...OR just go get a color chart pick a color,,base clear,,easier cheaper...good luck

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Not to discourage you but I agree with 1st reply.Metalflake done right is bigboy paint you can spend l lotsa money and it still wont turn out.Even experienced paints can struggle with it.

If your hearts desire is set on flake it might be better to find someone thats experienced in flake to paint it for you maybe even give you a little class on it while its being down.

I agree if your set on doin it yourself and have no paint experience base clear is the way to go pretty hard to totally screw it up....

If ya need any help let me know
Shoe

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, ok then..no flake...Little pricey and waaay out of the skill sets we have.. Any other suggestions as far as a nice easy color/process? Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the help on this one...

Xcabb

·
Registered
936 Posts
XCabbieS said:
Wow, ok then..no flake...Little pricey and waaay out of the skill sets we have.. Any other suggestions as far as a nice easy color/process? Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the help on this one...

Xcabb
Check into Nason paints. They have a lot of options you might be interested in. Made by DuPont, with kind of the non-professional in mind.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
you want a killer flake job ya gotta pay.Nason would be about half price but its not the same quality as HOK.And they dont make all those materials in the nason line.If your putting together a nice bike spend the money and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Everyone of these guys is right Cab...but if you want to have fun (complete with a great story for later) here's what I suggest...

Go to an automotive paint store and have your sheetmetal in the car. Bring about 300 bucks.

Tell them you want to paint your motorcycle Metalflake Candy Rootbeer.

Show them your tank and fenders.

They will sell you everything you need to do the job, from sandpaper to polishing compound. Be sure you get the shop "pro's" name and phone number on their business card. Take it to a copy store and have it laminated, then wear it around your neck like a rap necklace. Call them anytime you have a question and don't feel bad about it...You paid them 300 bucks.

Get the spec sheet on all your products and READ THEM CAREFULLY.

Call everybody you know and round up a paint gun with at least a 1.7 tip (for mini-flake) or with a 2.0 tip (for the bass boat stuff) and get a buffer somewhere.

Clean your shop and the gun really good. A lot.

Remember, it's only paint and it'll sand off. I painted everything at least twice in the beginning of my paint "career(?)".

Hang up pictures of your favorite customizers, a 40's pin-up or two (glance up at these from time to time and chant, "slow and smooth" over and over). Then get a fold-out centerfold of a stacked, heartbreakingly beautiful african-american girl from an early 70's Penthouse (this will almost garantee your candy root beer will flow out like glass).

Blast something heavy and dark on the stereo (Metallica, Sisters of Mercy, Tool etc.) and pace slowly round the sheetmetal imagining all those stuck-up hoity toity customizers are making fun of you because you "don't know shit about painting". Maybe burn an effigy outside the shop of the one who annoys you the most.

Hire a cheerleader from the local junior college to help. Don't pay them anything! When it comes time to paint wrap them in saran wrap, leaving their arms free. Have them slowly move around the shop with chopsticks, snatching flys, mosquitos and moths out of the air before they land in your paint.

The rest'll be easy.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Your fuckin killin me man LMAO. And who do we know that spent a little to much time in the paint fumes.......???????

I start to think normal and have dt's if not exsposed everyday....Tim I believe you could write songs for tool or pink floyd.I like your choice of music it must be all the flake that makes us paint types think alike...

Shoe
Conder said:
Everyone of these guys is right Brian...but if you want to have fun (complete with a great story for later) here's what I suggest...

Go to an automotive paint store and have your sheetmetal in the car. Bring about 300 bucks.

They will sell you everything you need to do the job, from sandpaper to polishing compound. Be sure you get the shop "pro's" name and phone number on their business card. Take it to a copy store and have it laminated, then wear it around your neck like a rap necklace. Call them anytime you have a question and don't feel bad about it...You paid them 300 bucks.

Call everybody you know and round up a paint gun with at least a 1.7 tip (for mini-flake) or with a 2.0 tip (for the bass boat stuff) and get a buffer somewhere.

Remember, it's only paint and it'll sand off. I painted everything at least twice in the beginning of my paint "career(?)".

Hang up pictures of your favorite customizers, a 40's pin-up or two (glance up at these from time to time and chant, "slow and smooth" over and over). Then get a fold-out centerfold of a stacked, heartbreakingly beautiful african-american girl from an early 70's Penthouse (this will almost garantee your candy root beer will flow out like glass).

Blast something heavy and dark on the stereo (Metallica, Sisters of Mercy, Tool etc.) and pace slowly round the sheetmetal imagining all those stuck-up hoity toity customizers are making fun of you because you "don't know shit about painting". Maybe burn an effigy outside the shop of the one who annoys you the most.

Hire a cheerleader from the local junior college to help. Don't pay them anything! When it comes time to paint wrap them in saran wrap, leaving their arms free. Have them slowly move around the shop with chopsticks, snatching flys, mosquitos and moths out of the air before they land in your paint.

The rest'll be easy.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. Conder, ya might be onto something there man...No real college to pick up a chicky from around here except for the hard core catholic school, but we do have lots of farm animals..I guess I could wrap a sheep in the saran wrap without affecting the outcome too much...lolBut on a brighter note, we do have a whole lotta mullets in big trucks, and that means Bass boats with big fluffly flakes... maybe Ill luck out and find a place that has some sick ******* flake laying around still..

·
Registered
675 Posts
Will you be my new best friend?:D
Conder said:
Everyone of these guys is right Brian...but if you want to have fun (complete with a great story for later) here's what I suggest...

The rest'll be easy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nappy said:
I'd always heard that you can get an OK paint job out of a rattlecan if you wet sand and clearcoat.
With that in mind, I wonder how this rattlecan metalflake shit w...orks...
http://www.seymourpaint.com/index.cfm/products/?id=157

I know it's not HOK candy rootbeer, but how bad can it be?
Bling bling-
Rob
Nap..

I asked 'bout this a while ago. Here is the thread.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738

I think any color other than black would be cool. I saw a guy on the HAMB paint a tricycle with the blue and it looks cool!

·
Registered
374 Posts
here is hok candy apple rootbeer(mixed with white pearl) over a copper flake base and about 30 coats of hok candy apple red over gold flake. I use the hok kandy koncentrate.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Is the emty pool for skating?
the Harpoon said:
here is hok candy apple rootbeer(mixed with white pearl) over a copper flake base and about 30 coats of hok candy apple red over gold flake. I use the hok kandy koncentrate.

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Cab, where are you located in Virginny? I may know someone that may be able to help you out somewhat.

Sparky

·
mucho-rake
1,122 Posts
XCabbieS said:
Thanks
Cab
HOK root beer
its got silver and some gold flake down under the candy.numerous coats of clear.

i dont know what the scallops are done with id have to ask the actual painter, stripes are one shot.

but yeah if you're up for it conder's advice rocks. and promises lots of fun along the way. if not a visit from LEO. but hey its gonna be a hellauva story behind that paint job

1 - 20 of 38 Posts