Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the new tires for my bsa. one rim is spray painted silver, the other is pitted rusty chrome. I want them semi gloss black, should I paint or powdercoat? I am trying to keep this as low budget as possible. I am worried that if I paint them that when tires are installed they will chip and scratch. Keep in mind this is not a shiny show bike, and cosmetic perfection is not really important. But will paint hold up?thanks-Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only warning I would give for powder coating is to tell the coater clearly what should be coated. I ran into all sorts of clearance problems with 'accidental' coating. On a spoked rim it should be no big deal except for the spoke holes ... which I have no experience with. My beef was with bearing surfaces on the wheel, disc brake carrier, etc. Lotsa hours spent on my Laverda to remove the errant powder coating ... tough stuff! Good luck.

later,
papa al

oops ... I may not have intro'ed ... HAMBer who has contributed little other than pics and articles, aim to change that. Looking to see if I can build a Triumph bobber for the back of my '53 F100 & still complete my A ... conflicting projects ;-)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is a little something for you.. I went to get the wheels powdercoated for my '34 BSA, and the guy wouldn't do it. He said the heat would warp the spokes. Now, if they are already apart, go for it, but if you're bringing in a whole wheel, I wouldn't recommend it.

I ended up getting the wheels bead blasted, used an excellent bare metal primer made for painting parts that were once chrome, and used black enamel, a really good thick enamel. They turned out great.

Anyway, just my 2 cents! Good luck, and post some pics when they are done!

Jim

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
tinyelvis said:
Here is a little something for you.. I went to get the wheels powdercoated for my '34 BSA, and the guy wouldn't do it. He said the heat would warp the spokes. Now, if they are already apart, go for it, but if you're bringing in a whole wheel, I wouldn't recommend it.

I ended up getting the wheels bead blasted, used an excellent bare metal primer made for painting parts that were once chrome, and used black enamel, a really good thick enamel. They turned out great.

Anyway, just my 2 cents! Good luck, and post some pics when they are done!

Jim
What Jim said... powder coating rules if you have it apart or if you plan on taking it apart. I had my front and rear hub powdercoated. Seriously durable and will never need refinishing. The rear hub was originally chromed and was flaking off and pitted bad. I had it "chrome stipped" then the powdercoater blasted the rest off for me (clean it yourself if you can... cheaper!). Overall, the pits obviously are permanent but since I went gloss black and because it's the rear the pits are barely noticeable. I know you said money is a factor, but the paint will start to look bad after awhile. Just my opinion though...

Good luck man! Post pictures when you're done with what you decide to do... before and afters are always cool!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had the stuff on one of my bikes for better than 10 yrs. ( frame , hubs , backing plate ) and it still looks good. No chips, just a few scuffs ... I think it looks better with age .....
The guy who did mine does a lot of bikes and made sure to mask any of the problem spots and bolt holes with out having to ask ...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody for your advice! My wheels are all together, and I'm going over my budget on this bike, so I opted for paint. I have a friend beadblasting them right now, hopefully they will be painted and back on the bike by the weekend. I'll post pictures when done.-Brian

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had my hubs and my rims powdercoated on my dirtbike. It's been two years since it was done, and about 7 tire changes using tire spoons. And they still look good as new.

I bead blasted and masked them myself and had a buddy at work coat them. They turned out great. If anyone is interested in having it done, let me know. He charged a friend of mine 40 bucks to do it. The only color we have at work is semi gloss black though.

I'm not looking to make money out of this, but my buddy likes his palms greased. LOL.

·
Registered
398 Posts
since they are all together bead blast , acid etching primer , and good paint will hold up just as good as powdercoating.

it is all in the prep . If any part that is getting coated is shinny at all poder or paint will both fail.

·
Registered
76 Posts
richard cranium said:
Yep... it's like an acid etching primer, I forget the name of it.. it's like ZIP or something.. best primer i've ever used for anything that is metal.

The thing is, the bead blaster doesn't always get all the bits of chrome off.. it roughes it up a lot, but sometiems there are still bits left on. This stuff grabs the roughed up bits like crazy, and paint sticks to it and lays on really well.

If anyone is interested, I'll go into my basement when I get home and get the name off the can. Someone from the HAMB turned me onto it.

TinyE

·
Registered
200 Posts
yes, i am interested! i have some flakey chrome parts going onto my hot rod that need to be blasted & painted. i'm a little worried about adhesion, so i'll use any tricks i can.

thx
ed

tinyelvis said:
If anyone is interested, I'll go into my basement when I get home and get the name off the can. Someone from the HAMB turned me onto it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Re: paint or powdercoat Blasted Aluminum Look

I have tried for months to find the right look that I wanted, Sand Blasted Look without alot of shine to it.. the Eastwood Company has what is called BLASTED ALUMINUM powder coat # 11871,
I had my Guy Tom Giordano of
http://trgcoating.com/ coat this part then hit it with a Satin Clear.. I could not be happier with the result, off come the painted rocker boxes! only wish I found this 6 months ago..
BTW if you are in the North Jersey area Tom cannot be beat, very fair and he went out of his way for me many times..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.