Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Can anyone running a P&P girder front end tell me what the correct set up is to secure the top of the coil over shock in place?

As you can see with the one we've found, it just has a length of threaded rod free floating in there which obviously won't do long term.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the same hardware, bolt, on my top coil over shock mount. If you dis assemble it you'll find fairly tight hard plastic bushings.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Actually on closer look at mine what I have is a metal collar that I can tap thru to remove.
No thread at all.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I worked in a shop in the 70's that manufactured girders and springers. The top mount on ours consisted of a bronze/oilite bushing in the rubber bushing on the shock, a grade-8 thru bolt, slotted on one end the other threaded. The non-threaded side of the top mount would have a set screw on the bottom side, to lock the thru shaft in place. The Oillite bushing would keep everything lubed and we never had any problems with that set-up.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey Pony, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but it's an old one, so I guess it's OK.
I have a collar only in the top shock mount of my p&p girder, with white plastic collar bushings. "Oillite?" I've never run it yet on the road, but it seems good to me to try. any further comment on handling appreciated. Frame is a Santee Rigid holding an ironhead.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
oilite is good shit fella, its what good bushes are made of, not just a lump of brass that looks the part,
I use it whenever a bush of this type is needed ... check it out here for information...
Oilite - Wikipedia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts