Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here know how long you have to be sitting in stop and go, or completely stopped traffic idling before you have to worry about a Shovel motor overheating? Now that summer's here, I'm getting worried about this....I had to sit in about 30 minutes of non-moving traffic last night and even though I turned off the engine for about 10 minutes sitting there, the other 20 minutes it was getting hot as hell (88ci S&S Shovel running w/HD oil non-synth). Will an oil-temp gauge be a good enough guide to tell you when you're heading into trouble?

In what order will things start going to shit -- oil breaking down, rings melting, pistons seizing, etc.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
She'll start backfiring through the pipes and you'll need to blip the throttle to keep her going. You should coast it to the nearest bar and let it cool off. Course, it's a good place for you to cool off too. You'll really need to overheat it alot to cause any of the things on your list to happen. Unless it's running lean or too far advanced....

In what order will things start going to shit -- oil breaking down, rings melting, pistons seizing, etc.[/quote]

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
you will feel the heat way before the motor seizes sitting in traffic ( or turn the motor off and roll it if bumper to bumper) , get a temp guage, 220-240 I recall to be the top of the range in oil temp - it is not hot enuff yet to worry unless you are riding like a retard...try straight 6o weight and change it every 500 in the real heat...but I know jack shit really about the new stuff, easy to tell on the 45"

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have a 1956 Pan/Shovel and live in Seattle where traffic is really bad. If traffic is stopped I shut it off as it starts easy. In creeping traffic I can last about 10-15 min. untill the motor hits the danger zone.. I have hydralic lifters and when the oil gets hot the lifters start to click. I ran one of those small power steering oil coolers last summer and it helped a little. Iv'e got a bigger Lockhart cooler this year and hope it will do better.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creepinogie said:
She'll start backfiring through the pipes and you'll need to blip the throttle to keep her going. You should coast it to the nearest bar and let it cool off. Course, it's a good place for you to cool off too. You'll really need to overheat it alot to cause any of the things on your list to happen. Unless it's running lean or too far advanced....

In what order will things start going to shit -- oil breaking down, rings melting, pistons seizing, etc.
[/quote]

It was backfiring like a motherfucker!!! After traffic cleared, the bike was lagging and couldn't really open up for the first quarter mile or so, in any gear. Lurching and backfiring like crazy. I thought it was because the engine had been flooded by idling and over-rich exhaust was lingering in the pipes. Forgot to add earlier I'm running dual-plugged heads and a thunderheader pipe. So you're saying the backfiring is a result of overheating?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yeah, you were running hot.
If you ever get to Daytona, observe the bikes on the longbridge going inot town over the intercoastal waterway. It's stop and go and alot of them are doing the same thing. I just shut it down at that point and coast into the Shark Club for a cold one.

She's running good now right?

It was backfiring like a motherfucker!!! After traffic cleared, the bike was lagging and couldn't really open up for the first quarter mile or so, in any gear. Lurching and backfiring like crazy. I thought it was because the engine had been flooded by idling and over-rich exhaust was lingering in the pipes. Forgot to add earlier I'm running dual-plugged heads and a thunderheader pipe. So you're saying the backfiring is a result of overheating?[/quote]

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
at 5 - 10 MPH I would just stop , get off the bike and drag them out of the car .

I'm not doing wheelies through stopped traffic , I'm just saying why the fuck would you sit in traffic long enough to over heat on a bike ? Seriously that's one of the main reasons I ride a bike , so I don't have to sit around like a retard and wait for shit to happen . I mean if it is just a bad idea to split , or there is an accident or lots of cops or something . . . otherwise I'm not waiting around . Sitting in traffic is for people in cars , who cant get around the traffic , IMO .

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Shit, around here, even if it were legal, most people are driving either wide pickups with duallies in the rear or combines. Yes, combines. We are the only state (North Dakota - I live on the border) where there is no minimum speed limit on the interstate. that's so farmers can drive their combines down the road. these things are about 16 - 20 ft wide. And the people driving cars, don't know how to drive...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Creepinogie said:
Shit, around here, even if it were legal, most people are driving either wide pickups with duallies in the rear or combines. Yes, combines. We are the only state (North Dakota - I live on the border) where there is no minimum speed limit on the interstate. that's so farmers can drive their combines down the road. these things are about 16 - 20 ft wide. And the people driving cars, don't know how to drive...
Can't be any different then the big ass lifted full sized trucks, semi's, and dumb ass drivers here in Southern Cal.! I guess its all relative...you get used to and learn to deal with the environment you live in. Splitting traffic here in **** on a bike is the norm. Cops do it too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
=mike= said:
at 5 - 10 MPH I would just stop , get off the bike and drag them out of the car .
quote]

This is getting OT, that said, I will proceed.

Lane splitting is dangerous. Riding motorcycles and driving cars is dangerous. However, say what you want, but lane splitting introduces an undue responsibility on a car / truck driver to check a location they cannot even see without craning around into an awkward, unnatural position. Further, that extended head check causes drivers to divert attention from the direction of travel and the sharp turning of the body drags the steering wheel in the direction of the head check, bringing the vehicle into that marginal area occupied by the lane splitter.

If you want to split lanes and it's legal, then do it. If you aren't prepared to accept the consequences - door opening, being hit during a low speed lane change, etc., don't lane split. But, dragging somebody out of a car because they accidentally caused you injury while you were engaged in some stupid shit is ludicrous.

My .02.

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
Rythemean said:
=mike= said:
quote]
But, dragging somebody out of a car because they accidentally caused you injury while you were engaged in some stupid shit is ludicrous.

My .02.
if someone opened their door on my because i was splitting lanes , then they're fucked , one way or another . What the fuck are you doing opening your door in traffic anyhow . . .

Obviously an accident is an accident , but attacking someone by opening your door on them and causing a wreck because they are on a bike and making better time than you is something else .

And splitting lanes isnt stupid shit , in california it's legal activity , and it's what you do whan you're in traffic and your on a bike . Do it as safe as traffic will allow , and don't be a fucking retard and you should be fine , other fucking idiots not withstanding .

now engage ludacris speed

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and it isnt off topic , it's how you keep from over heating in traffic , so fugetaboutit .

·
Registered
568 Posts
Rythemean said:
=mike= said:
quote]

This is getting OT, that said, I will proceed.

Lane splitting is dangerous. Riding motorcycles and driving cars is dangerous. However, say what you want, but lane splitting introduces an undue responsibility on a car / truck driver to check a location they cannot even see without craning around into an awkward, unnatural position. Further, that extended head check causes drivers to divert attention from the direction of travel and the sharp turning of the body drags the steering wheel in the direction of the head check, bringing the vehicle into that marginal area occupied by the lane splitter.

If you want to split lanes and it's legal, then do it. If you aren't prepared to accept the consequences - door opening, being hit during a low speed lane change, etc., don't lane split. But, dragging somebody out of a car because they accidentally caused you injury while you were engaged in some stupid shit is ludicrous.

My .02.
Shit!

Where'd the missus stash my conspicuity vest? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
237 Posts
We are not going to agree on this one. But, I'd be happy to buy you a beer and talk about it. Should be fun. If we all agreed about everythng, this would be a long, boring existence.

=mike= said:
Rythemean said:
if someone opened their door on my because i was splitting lanes , then they're fucked , one way or another . What the fuck are you doing opening your door in traffic anyhow . . .

Obviously an accident is an accident , but attacking someone by opening your door on them and causing a wreck because they are on a bike and making better time than you is something else .

And splitting lanes isnt stupid shit , in california it's legal activity , and it's what you do whan you're in traffic and your on a bike . Do it as safe as traffic will allow , and don't be a fucking retard and you should be fine , other fucking idiots not withstanding .

now engage ludacris speed

and it isnt off topic , it's how you keep from over heating in traffic , so fugetaboutit .

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
all i'm saying ( in regards to the above ) is that if someone opened a door on me , and I thought it was on purpose , it would be on . Can you really say you would act differently ?

An accident is an accident , but someone attacking me with a car door is go ing to get a reaction .

Regardless . . . I don't drink beer , but a few Mai Tai's or a couple Beam & cokes and I will be your best friend .

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No room to split lanes. Believe me, I thought about it. Tight lanes, zero shoulder expressway, nowhere to go or even pull off to the side. And I'm running wide beach bars (at the moment, until apes arrive). Even some dude that came along on a smaller sportbike couldn't make it more than a few feet. Couldn't turn it off and push it, it was all uphill, stop and go, and my FLH weighs a fucking ton and it was hot as hell. Basically, it was the worst case scenario. (well, I guess I could have been stuck in an uphill traffic jam in Death Valley at high noon)...

I thought about an oil cooler, but that doesn't help you when sitting still...same principle as the fins on your motor....it really needs air running across it to cool it and take the heat off...

So back to the original topic of overheating, my original question, in a worst-case scenario, how long sitting (w/a shovel in this case) before you're fucked or at least start doing damage?

=mike= said:
what are you guys doing sitting in traffic . . . you're on a bike for crying out loud . split that shit and get out of there . That's one of the perks !

the longest I ever sit still is at a light .

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Keep this thread alive until Monday a.m. so the boys at Laconia can give a thoroughly researched answer. With this weekend's weather, bike's will be backfiring, pissing coolant and melting in the endless miles of traffic near Weir's Beach.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts