Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering if any traditional motorcycle clubs these days emphasize and or encourage members to build their own choppers like back in the old days? I've read stories from the 60s where prospects were expected to completely tear down and rebuild their engine on command. I love seeing old pics of MC brothers alongside a road somewhere with their bike in a hundred pieces, fixing things on the fly.

We have several big name national MCs in our state and I generally see them cruising on big billet barges or chromed-out dressers. Anyway, it just got me to thinking and wondering if some MCs (more than others) practice the traditional values of a DIY lifestyle and building their own chops. I can't imagine how cool it would be to see an MOtorcycle Club 40 men deep rolling down the interstate on home-built choppers!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
El Forastero's MC. Its in the club rules that you gotta have a chopper, or you cant be in. They are in the midwest. Been around since the early 60's

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think those days are sadly fading away. Along with good westerns and the like. What a impressive sight it would be to see a rolling show of craftsmenship.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i don't know shit, but i'd think if you're an outlaw, you gotta be able to get away from the fuzz, man.

you can't be breakin down on no chopper while runnin shine and guns, you dig?

but i don't know shit.

·
Registered
820 Posts
First time I saw a supposed outlaw on a bagger, at Starbucks, in white sneakers and talking on a cell phone I knew there was no fucking hope.

Now each one of those things is fine in it's own right but they got zero to do with true hardcore oulaw bikers....its choppers or nothing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the same sort of thought when I saw Stallone on the cover of Easyriders. The end was at hand and it's never been the same...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I imagine most of the OMC guys have a chopper, or have had. but when you're riding day-in, day-out, running weight over state lines, you need reliable. and a comfortable saddle. probably a lot more reliable, and low key, to keep the mods a little more basic.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I forget but there was a club while back mandatory Evo's,, they want reliability now,, the bike is actually secondary anymore

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice comments guys. I'd never heard of the El Forsteros, that'd exactly the kind of thing I was getting at. But I think you guys are right. The romanticized cowboy-like MCs are a thing of the past. That white tennis shoes Starbucks comment was hilarious! I wonder if he even knows how to change his own oil? :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
i don't know shit, but i'd think if you're an outlaw, you gotta be able to get away from the fuzz, man.

you can't be breakin down on no chopper while runnin shine and guns, you dig?

but i don't know shit.
Agreed. The 1%ers choice of ride around here is a Dyna or bagger. Reliability seems to be the biggest concern.Back in the day they didn't have a choice. They were forced to wrench on em. Today is a lot different in all aspects.

None the less, a group of bros (club or not) rollin home built old school choppers is cool anytime it happens in my book. Definitely a dying breed.

·
Registered
726 Posts
on vaca & ta2 have got it right. just had this conversation with the prez of our local chapter.....according to him, they pretty much ALL have a custom, or a classic stocker that their working on. but to see`um day to day? dynas and baggers are the rule.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I remember as a kid, maybe the mid sixties, being in the back of the car with my little brother going down the road when a pack of them, maybe 20 to 30 of them rumbled up, then went around us. We are waving at them and Mom pleading with us not to look at them..........

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yeah, I always will ride a custom chopper or Bobber or what ever you want to call it these days.......

Had to try my hardest not to laugh out loud when I seen a Main line clubber hit his key fob alarm to see which bagger was his......:eek::rolleyes:

.........Roach. :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.