Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anybody sell these,or are they pretty much machine em' yourself type of deal? Or McMaster Carr item and cut to size?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I make all my spacers, unless it is a stock situation. You would have nothing to compare to, in a parts book, unless you know of a stock bike, that runs your front end, and your wheel. Even if you don't have a machine shop, you can cut and grind to the measurment. Even if you are off a little, it will not affect the bike, unless you make them way to short and pinch the lower legs. But I am sure others will have different ideas.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Seriously ?? 1000's of spacers avail out there for just about anything,,you may need to cut for sizing,,but basically a no brainer

·
Registered
108 Posts
I made mine too. I don't have a lathe so i measured cut and ground to a close size. I finished on a belt sander so i knew they were as flat as i could get them. I'd do a little and check agains a right angle gauge. do a little more and check again until i had the right size and new they were true. I hit the edges really quick with a little sand paper to knock the burrs off. Seem to work pretty good. Not a ton of miles on it but it rides nice.

·
Registered
689 Posts
One thing shovithead taught me was to make them out of pvc pipe first, so you don't waste materials and the time making them too short. Then, when you are sure you have the dimensions correct, do the actual machining on the metal spacers. Not everyone has to do it this way, but it does have it's advantages if you are new to making spacers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
make them out of pvc pipe first, so you don't waste materials and the time making them too short.
Goes right along with measure twice cut once. I used the pvc trick my first time around and it worked just fine without a lathe. There are tons or different sized spacers out there you just need to do some searching for the closest fit for your application.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Paugcho and J&P sells "kits" with a bunch of spacers. If you done feel up to it. Or you can measure it up and have a local machine shop spin some up for you.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You can get schedule 80 steel pipe, with the correct ID, and make a ton of them, for a few bucks. Or you can order the SS piece sold on JP and other aftermarket companies, which is long enough to make several, depending on the length, a little pricy, but will never rust. Plus, the SS piece is the correct OD, to fit in most wheel seals. Ckunsman is right, and I did not mention it, but pvc is cheap and finds your mistakes. Only problem, is sometimes it is a smaller OD, and does not mate to the swingarm, wide enough. So you have to watch out for that.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
^^ Thanks shovithead, Just ordered the SS spacer(2000148) from J&P.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Same thing I use. Here in Florida, everything turns to rust, or corrodes, from the salt air. The SS, keeps on going and going, like the enegizer bunny, and stays pretty shiney. You will not regret using that SS spacer stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts