Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my bike yesterday to a guy from Maryland and got a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket.

I wanna build Sportster based rigid and really dig the Ironheads but don't know shit about them (or anything else for that matter), but I can reads real good, and Momma says I'm kinda smart and I'm willing to learn.

So, any thoughts on this 80 Sportster? The guy wants $3750, but I'm gonna offer less.

Details:

„± 7,110 original miles (original speedometer)
„± Near perfect always garaged
„± S&S carburetor setup
„± Duel disk brakes
„± Tachometer
„± Nice paint
„± Runs excellent
„± Brand new Avon Roadrunner tires
„± Brand new XR 750 style radius bent exhaust pipes
„± 3.25 gallon gas tank
„± All engine covers chrome
„± All parts & chrome in excellent condition
„± Only flaw corrosion on fork lowers and scratch on front fender

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
decent deal... ironheads ROCK...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
3750 is too much but not real out of line. If your building a rigid, why not buy a rat for $2500? Personally, I'd go for a kickstart xlch but that's just me. You could probably get that bike for $3500 cash and ebay about 500 worth of stuff you don't need. Frame, oil tank, sheet metal, shocks, swingarm, rear brake set-up (a hot item for that vintage sportster) seat, sissy bar, etc.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hey, If you end up buying it to turn into a rigid, I'll buy the exhaust pipes from you for the right price of course. I'm looking for some.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I picked up my 72 Ironhead for $3,500. 19,000 miles but pretty clean with upgraded front end (74 with disk brake) and spoked wheels. Personally I love Ironheads. They run hot, tend to leak a little oil, but have a ton of personality, oh, and no computer so you can do all the work yourself.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
something things to consider with the donor bike is

-how many of the stock parts you are actually going to use and what are the leftover parts worth?

-title, are you going to bother trying to make it legit in the new frame and if so, how much hassle is it for your state?

the VIN # on my '79 ironhead is stamped on the motor for sure (and maybe the frame? have to check)....but that always makes for a nice donor like the early big-twins.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tom said:
something things to consider with the donor bike is

-how many of the stock parts you are actually going to use and what are the leftover parts worth?

-title, are you going to bother trying to make it legit in the new frame and if so, how much hassle is it for your state?

the VIN # on my '79 ironhead is stamped on the motor for sure (and maybe the frame? have to check)....but that always makes for a nice donor like the early big-twins.
The leftover parts I can't imagine are worth that much. As far as "legit" in the new frame, I'll do what I need to do but prefer not to have a "Special Construction" title and will most likely go around the law.

I also have a line on a 99 1200 Custom for around 5500-6000. I could use more of the newer bike than the older and the un used newer stuff (windshield, chrome shit) would bring more on the Ebay market.

What to do. Maybe if I distribute some green cheer at the local Gentleman's Club the answer will become clear...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts