Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we've pretty much recovered from the El Diablo Run 1 and we are starting to plan next year.

We need a band.

Sure, we know a couple guys in bands, but everyone is either so shady that we really can't depend on them to be together still a year from now, or the drummer is in rehab, etc. Or, our friends in the Riverboat Gamblers are so damn bigtime that you have to book shit way, way in advance and they are afraid to bring their gear into Mexico. Hell, I have friends with race cars that go down there six times a year with kit that's worth 10 times what a bunch of amps and shit cost...

Anyway, I thought I'd ask the Journalist here and see if anyone is into it. We can help cover expenses and I'll even provide a baja veteran guy to drive the van or whatever equipment hauler there is. You might even sell enough merch to make it worthwhile. We'd also give up links on the site, etc.

Kind of music? Shit, I don't really care as long as it's not classic rock cover tunes or imitation Blink-180-rap-biscuit. My preference is dirty south music like Slobberbone or Drive By Truckers, but hell, just about any old punk will do. I emailed Jack Grisham from TSOL, he's been cool to me before, but I think he must think I'm a jackass or maybe he's worried about his make up running in the baja heat, 'cause he hasn't returned my email. We're down with Lee Ving's kid, so I think FEAR is my next choice, but who knows?

So, who's gotta band that wants to play to about 100 filthy bikers in a foreign country for beer money and expenses?

-Bill

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I could care less about seeing a band in Mexico.

There was plenty of entertainment in San Felipe, and in Ensenada, we found a club that had a battle of the bands that was pretty cool.

Just my .02 cents.

-Jason

·
Registered
248 Posts
Scorcher said:
I could care less about seeing a band in Mexico.

There was plenty of entertainment in San Felipe, and in Ensenada, we found a club that had a battle of the bands that was pretty cool.

Just my .02 cents.

-Jason
Yeah, didn't we bring the entertainment with us? We could have the "wrestlers" put on the masks from this year and have a REAL match! HE HE

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Billdozer1811 said:
Yeah Jason, you guys were only there one out of the two nights, but hey if more people think the same way, fuck it, it's easier on me without one!

There is that boxing ring down the street, we could always set up our own UFC matches int there...

-Bill

Except, I wont box George or Trent.

-Jason

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm a big fan of Deadbolt, but i haven't heard or seen anything about them locally in a while.

You need the band from "Dusk til Dawn".

Selma Hayek dancing around a pole wouldn't be bad either...

bendpress said:
Is the SD band, Deadbolt playing around anymore? Love those guys - they have a great blend of psychobilly, gear oil and clowns.

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ryno said:
Selma Hayek dancing around a pole wouldn't be bad either...
Yeah, I'll see what I can do! I'll call her up tonight and see if she's free.

I'm thinking of linking my iPod to a PA and spending the rest on free beer, fuck it.

Actually not a terrible idea... (free beer)

-Bill

·
Registered
98 Posts
Billdozer1811 said:
Yeah, I'll see what I can do! I'll call her up tonight and see if she's free.

I'm thinking of linking my iPod to a PA and spending the rest on free beer, fuck it.

Actually not a terrible idea... (free beer)

-Bill

·
Banned
63 Posts
Billdozer1811 said:
OK, we've pretty much recovered from the El Diablo Run 1 and we are starting to plan next year.

We need a band.
I think it calls for something relative to the area and moment. Los Lobos is the first choice, but, I would settled with the cats that rolled on over to the camp the first day. When in ROME...
I'm in Mexico man, who needs to hear classic rock, or the same old punk, biker shit huh? :)I love old David Allen Coe, but I've seen enough of him at the Iron Horse. Some screaming, drunk, Mariachis is were its at.
I'm bringing a guitar and my boy Joey will have a harp, so some drunk camp fire music would be in order too.

I'm in for whatever Bill..

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Mariachi idea isn't half bad and awful easy to administrate. If we don't find a decent band that fits the scene and the vibe, we'll probably keep it local and have those dudes hang out all afternoon and evening. I know some Jack Johnson or Los Lobos would fit better, but I'm just not into it. Maybe Calexico, but these are all big pipe dream bands. I want someone who is more on our level that will hang out and be part of the whole deal. That's why I posted it here. There's got to be a Journalist here in a band that is in the southwest somewhere that wants to go on a cool weekend.

Anyone know Matt Hensley? He rides a cool bike and Flogging Molly rules. The singer looks like my skinny older brother. Shit just Matt rocking the accordion would be enough. Lardog you out there listening? It was St. Patty's day...

Hal and I once hired a Mariachi band in Vegas to play at a Chinese dinner with about a fifty bike industry people. The only song they were allowed to play was ring 'o fire. We must have heard that song a hundred times, and we rocked that place hard. Or so I'm told, that night was a rough one.

-Bill

·
Registered
65 Posts
Honestly, I was bummed when that mariachi band packed up and left that day...Having those guys play all day sounds like a bitchin' idea...and beer.

Of course, this time I'll have my Baja traveler acoustic with me as well, in case those mariachis run out of tunes and anyone wants me to write songs on the fly about beer and chicks who puff grits from their gullies.

I can probably get a hold of Hensley though. If anything, to have him ride in with us.

If Deadbolt played, I might weep on the spot. If ever a venue was suited to them, Ruben's Campo IS IT.

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I emailed Lee Ving about getting FEAR just on the off chance. I believe he dropped out and was in the HA for a couple years. His kid is an aquaintance of ours, so I played that card. Talk about weeping on the spot. If that old badass busted in to "FU...Let's Rodeo" under the big palapa I think I'd lose it.

We'll just have to see. If nothing is carved in stone on any of the leads I have by say July, we'll just run with the local show and freestyle fire pit jam sessions and some free beer. I'm envisioning an ugly stripper, topless the whole time, handing out ice cold Pacificos free for the first hour or two...

-Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.