Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't really the right forum but I figured I would tap the knowledge here.....

I am looking at a 73 TR6 car. We are talking about a $3500 sale price.

I had a buddy of mine go and check it out here are his comments.

We both agreed it is in need of a good deal of cosmetic work, but this is to be expected with an antique. Interior needs some work, most notably the drivers seat was cracked and had several bad tears. Exterior definitely had some rust spots and the difference in color in the trunk is noticeable. Engine looked about right and had a couple nice add-ons. Sounds nice when started. I took a quick test drive and it definitely had a little kick and the tight handling you would expect from a Triumph. Brakes did squeak quite a bit though.

Some slightly visible rust spots on the upper exterior have formed
around the edges and corners of the body and in some of the metallic
trimmings (i.e., convertible top snaps). Most of the rust on the body
and skins could probably be addressed with some sanding and priming as
you had mentioned. But I did not see any visible areas that might
require cut-out and patchwork

·
Registered
170 Posts
... antique? No. Kinda old, yeah.

It fullfills my own "I would drive anything that "Get Smart" would drive"criteria...although I think he drove a Tiger one year.

And from the looks of your profile it would give you the highly sought after Triumph Tri-fecta! Go for it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just worried that I might bite off more than I can chew. Any idea what I could expect to spend on a decent paint job and getting the seats redone?

I think I have gotten to the point where I could do any bodywork, but I don't have the touch (or space) for painting

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh you want it to be nice.....I can't help you there.
But there are a couple of well respected English only shops in town, one on Hwy.71 just before Dripping Springs, they do Jaguars, my old man has a '61 MKII...I'll look them up and PM you later.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It looks like it might be a decent deal to me...there's several good paint shops here too. My dad's TR7 was in way worse shape when he got it, but looks good now. He - this is awesome - stuffed a buick V8 in it. I'm not sure if that's heresy or something, but it haul ass!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
the price is by no means a bargan, but it does sound fair.
it's been prolly18 years since i owned & worked on a brit car.
the rust appears cosmetic so that depends on yer body work abilty. that car should be a unibody,so
take a close look at the under side especially the rails and where the front susp cradle bolts up. if that's cancerous it could be a nightmare.
the only really difficult thing i remember obout them is the wiring. i recall it had a positive ground system. sound familliar:D .

i gal i used to run around w/ had one and it was a fun car(and she had some huge hooters). i had an MG.

·
Registered
170 Posts
"yes, but would you believe..."

Agent 86 drove a different car every season!

One being an Opel ( the first car I ever drove solo BTW) he also drove a Sunbeam Tiger and a few other along the way....

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I started out with Brit sportscars but none that new, mostly (pre- '64) Mk I Spitfires & TR 4's.

I do remember nightmares with rot at the (Spitfire) rear axle's torsion bar mounts & weak stub-axles inside the chunk (IRS).

was just scanning vintage brit bike parts & saw this review off in the sidebar, has some good points to take a closer look for :

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-a-triumph-TR6_W0QQugidZ10000000000939297?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:1

good luck.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
726 Posts
No idea on the paint but you can pick up some cheap little race seats for them and they sell carpet/interior kits in the catalogs.

I used to have a MK IV Spitfire and I fought with the elec ign whenever it rained and cracks in the rear window but I'd love it have it back.

DUAL WEBERS!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
they had a reputation for being in the shop constantly even when fairly new. if you can handle the maintenance/repairs yourself, go for it. not much you can buy that's cool for 3500 these days

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'll second (or third) Beatcad and Dragon.
Also, if remember right....take a REALLY good look at the cowl/firewall area on both sides (underhood AND interior).
I've seen some cool old British cars that look great everywhere but with MAJOR rot in the hard to see areas.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If you check out the prices of decent TR6s for sale and have always wanted one, you'll snap this up in a heartbeat. People seem to pay silly money for TR6s while Spitfires can be snatched up for more modest money. Although it's not at all related, the coolest car that I ever owned was a '69 MGB.

·
Registered
54 Posts
looks like a pretty good deal. i owned a '69 MG midget for a while.
what engine does that have, and does it have dual carbs. that is what drove me crazy trying to tune them.
fun ass car though, pretty fast and tight in the turns. yours should be the same.

-fLeEtwOOd-

·
Registered
377 Posts
the subframe rails are paper thin, check it VERY well for rust.

Seriously, you can make a hole in them with a hammer and punch.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Southcoast - UK used to feck around with alot of those in my yoof (well a few years ago)...

As far as the "true brit ones go"

Rust like a bitch, scabby arches sills and water traps under the bonnet were stock factory. if you want a cheap brit hoon, go for it, it's not the kind of car i'd do anything more than "tart up", they can get very expensive if you try and restore them as it's a never ending pit. Anything specific PM me.

Not the prettiest trumps in my opinion, but if you like it roll it...

Hope you don't live somewhere wet!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I saw that car someone, maybe here? Seemed like a decent price. Brit cars are just starting to bring stupid money. My buddy is into them and has a '73 MGB. He put new, leather seat covers/door panels on his bike (from Moss I believe) for around $1,000.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts