Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen it all now. Christ is not coming to save us.
I was at Target with my son, walking up and down the aisles and what did my wandering eyes appear? Not some OCC product...no. Not some Jesse James product...no.
BUT yes, it was in fact an energy drink. Now there are plenty of freaking energy drinks out there but, I highly doubt that Kenneth Howard would have put his moniker on a fucking drink. Sure enough there it was.... Von Dutch energy drink.

What the fuck?????????????????

Sorry had to vent.

·
Registered
626 Posts
dude, do you live in a cave?
the VD energy drink (kinda ironic, being named after a wino) has been out (thank you coca cola) since before the OCC breath mints (available at your local 7-eleven counter) and WCC kiddie bike (available at Toys 'R' Us)
maybe things just grow faster in california.

just buy one. enjoy it and laugh.

·
Registered
981 Posts
yeah i saw them too a while back. its really fucked up. dutch has probably turned in his grave so many times by now, hes dizzy. it makes me sick seeing celebrities and higher ups wearing the "von dutch" clothing line and shit. how did people even get those rightsto his name anyway? the one editor of ol skool rodz couldnt of explained it best in one of his editorials. it aint right!

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i guess things are a bit slower out here on the east coast. must have missed it while driving my remote controlled wcc 54 chevy

alteredpilot said:
dude, do you live in a cave?
the VD energy drink (kinda ironic, being named after a wino) has been out (thank you coca cola) since before the OCC breath mints (available at your local 7-eleven counter) and WCC kiddie bike (available at Toys 'R' Us)
maybe things just grow faster in california.

just buy one. enjoy it and laugh.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I needed a hat for work one day, and saw a Von Dutch cap at the gas station. So, I got it. Wondered how the hell my local gas station ended up with that... kind of figured some hat maker had an employee who was into traditional hot rods & stuff.

A few months later, I see VonDutch energy drink here in Seattle. So, WTF does a guy who pinstripes and gunsmiths a generation ago have to do with energy drink?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Capt. Cal said:
makes me sick seeing celebrities and higher ups wearing the "von dutch" clothing line and shit. how did people even get those rightsto his name anyway?
The thing that's most fucked is this. All the cool old cats that did their thing for the joy of it, die. Then the family members claim the legacy (if rights had not been sold already), and sell sell sell shit those guys would hate.

When Burny and myself started doing original antenna toppers, the first one was the burning eyeball (you've seen it with the vinyl trailing flames). Mooneyes was our first big retailer, and I guess someone from the "von dutch" marketing brigade called them saying they thought there may be some conflict. They may be owed $.
There wasn't and they weren't. Von Dutch did not invent the eyeball.

When the burning devil hit the market, we see Coop at show and decided to show him our shit. He says, "cool, I like it", and shows it to his wife, to which she responds, "I think we have a lawsuit".
Coop says they do not, as he did not invent the devil.

Point is too many only see the dollars. If they're getting paid, it's ALL good, but no dough, no show.

And the excellent exception? We showed our shit to Big Daddy Roth, and he loved it. Took some photos holding our product with that big goofy smile of his and even signed a burning eyeball.
He passed away less than 6 months later.
Burny later presented a prototype burning rat fink to his widow. After much scrutiny, she says, "Ed would love it, he'd be proud to have his name on it".

Some people do it for the love of it, the rest just wanna get paid.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's like a buddy of mine once said while we were discussing bikes & stuff...

If you get it, no explanation is necessary, if you don't get it, no explanation is possible.

Unfortunately, some people just don't get it and belittle the names of those who did, and it's up to us to remember who the real heroes are.

*Patent pending, all rights reserved*:D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Newcastle Brown Ale is still the best energy drink I've found thus far......

And they don't have a bunch of corporate yahoos raping dead people's personas or overblowing TV's relevance.

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
sparkymoffett said:
I have seen it all now. Christ is not coming to save us.
I was at Target with my son, walking up and down the aisles and what did my wandering eyes appear? Not some OCC product...no. Not some Jesse James product...no.
BUT yes, it was in fact an energy drink. Now there are plenty of freaking energy drinks out there but, I highly doubt that Kenneth Howard would have put his moniker on a fucking drink. Sure enough there it was.... Von Dutch energy drink.

What the fuck?????????????????

Sorry had to vent.
I saw that too and just shook my head. Poor Ken is rolling in his grave. (and I am ashamed to say I was in Target as they are a bunch of cocksucking peacenicks who wont let us Jarheads put our Toys for Tots bin in front of their stores.. but thats another rant)

·
Registered
936 Posts
rockymtnpits said:
I saw that too and just shook my head. Poor Ken is rolling in his grave. (and I am ashamed to say I was in Target as they are a bunch of cocksucking peacenicks who wont let us Jarheads put our Toys for Tots bin in front of their stores.. but thats another rant)
Actually you can thank Salvation Army a good bit for that one. They made such a stink about Target not allowing them to set up their buckets of bullshit, that Target to save face banned any charity. Personally I think they should say a big FU to SA, and let the Toys for Tots and such obvious charities set up. But that's their call.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had heard on our board that TJMaxx had pink girl's Von Dutch hoodies for $16. Kick ass cause I needed one last present for my wife... but when I got there, I couldn't find any. Bummer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts