Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I guess this is going to be my build thread...
I mentioned this in my intro, but picked up this 1967 Ironhead off craigslist at the beginning of the summer. Did a small amount of work on it to get it running right and rode it all summer.

Now I suppose a lot of people wouldn't touch it and keep this bike as-is. Its a pretty cool looking bike but it just wasn't my cup of tea... Plus living in a small town, i don't want to be known as the guy that bought so-and-so's bike.

Honestly i am extremely excited to tear this bike down and really make it my own. I see that as a huge challenge

Bike ran strong all summer. Had some electrical problems and figured out it was shorting out in the electric start circuit somewhere so i just disconnected it and ran it as kick only...

Got permission from my boss to use the corner of the warehouse to rebuild the bike this winter (living in a shitty house with no garage at the moment)

now i know i'm going to get nailed to the cross for cutting a 67 frame, but if you can look past that i'd appreciate it if this thread can cook up some constructive criticism and advice (i'll need it)

santee hardtail section all welded on. Stoked on how good it looks

got this modern springer off craigslist for super cheap. Doubt i will run it on this bike but thought i'd throw it in there for kicks. Probably end up selling it to fund the rest of this build.

Well thats where it sits right now. still trying to figure out my front wheel set up, drum brake or no brake.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was thinking that those plates were off or for them to be level the frame is going to be kicked up in front. DEADENDBRIAN put some brakes on the front. Trust me its not a good feeling when a old man starts to pull out in front of you and you stomp on the rear drum and it locks up

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Not many on here will dog you for cutting up, a cut up 67 frame. So that is history. I am one of those guys, but the ones I don't own, are not mine to say what they end up looking like. Plus, the more that get cut up, the more mine are worth. Plus, I love the hardtails anyway. Good start. If you are going custom, and you are, I would use a disc frontend. The drum looks good, and they were on the stock one, but the disc will work much better. And remember, you can stop twice as fast with the front brake. Just don't try it on wet roads or sandy spots.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looking Good. You got a great boss letting you build and weld on your bike in his warehouse.
That's exactly what I was thinking, your boss is kick-ass boss for letting you
wrench on your bike all winter in his warehouse!!
And/or you must be a extremely valued employee ;)
It's looking good so far, keep it up !!

skinny

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I'll be the one. 72 & up frames are a dime a dozen, you fucked up.
Look at the original frame. It was already cut up. So he did little to ruin it. The PO,or previous PO, cut tabs and drilled the backbone. It is usually me, who gets upset when someone cuts a OEM early frame. But, once it is cut, it is no longer original.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yeah your frame wasnt worth that much anyway
I had a 1960 frame on here that was just ever so slightly cut in a few places but still in very very good condition
I listed it on here and no one even made a single offer on it
and I didnt list it for much

so no worries there
I think the hardtail looks very good on it
keep at the build

if your looking for any ironhead parts let me know I have a few that Im not using
and a 7/8 stem springer front end also

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies. If this frame had been closer to stock condition upon buying i would have saved it. But the reality is that it was cut, drilled, welded, and even had bondo caked up by the seat. Not much to salvage and I wanted to keep the motor and the frame together seeing as those are the only 67 parts on this bike....

Well after thinking it over I decided to lace my current disc hub to a 21 front rim. Better safe than sorry and i will be able to save some money.

Getting my hubs and rims sand blasted this week and re-powder coated gloss black. Waiting on spokes for the front. Should look rad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Few updates....
Making pretty good progress here and there.
and it hasn't even started snowing yet, going to be a long winter...
picked up a 21" rim for cheap, got my hubs, rims, and triple trees blasted by the local gravestone place.
Had a buddy powdercoat them. The shop was running a semi-gloss black the night i gave him the parts so i figured that would look good. (was shooting for gloss black but i think i like this more, not so flashy)

Ordred new spokes and laced it up. I've laced probably over 1000 bicycle wheels, but never motorcycle wheels. Was relieved that is came together so easy. My only question is in regards to spoke tension? what should i be shooting for?

also ground down a bit of the frame casting, hoping my seat wont bottom out but we'll see what happens.

Lastly, shaved the fender mounts off my forks and took the chrome off.
Not done, just finished the 120 grit in this photo.

Using up some vacation days and headed to Toronto for a few days.
Hope to lace up the rear wheel and finish truing them first thing when i return. Got some fresh Avons waiting for them...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
looking good man very similar to my build
I went with semi black powdered wheels also re laced my self a 21 up front and a 16 out back

keep the pics coming

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.