Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...ex-sportbike fanatic gone bobber builder overnight! Decided to take on a winter project and have been eying bobbers for a while now. last week i bought a 1976 Ironhead Sporty to chop up! Within 4 hours, we had it torn down to frame/motor.

So far I've got a 21" front spool...already tore both wheels down and powdered the hubs/drum/hoops black. new bearings and tires too. We'll see where this goes!

Next stop....STANCE! :) Looking forward to helping and getting helped.

Matt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just finished the front wheel today! 21" Spool, tore it apart, cleaned the spokes with steel wool under water, black powdercoat on the hub, laced it up (Myself...i'm pretty proud of that fyi lol), had it trued and the 21" speedmaster mounted TODAY! WOWWWWW looks good.

Rear Chrome Spokes showed up today in the mail...i know what I'll be doing tonight :)

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome Man! Let's see some pictures of that bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear wheel powdered and laced tonight! YEEHAW..moving right along! Rear spokes came in today so i tore home and laced it as fast as I could! Rear Bearings are also here so we'll true it up tomorrow and mount the rear...new pic coming tomorrow. This will do for now!

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think I wouldda rode it until the monsoons hit before I tore it apart...but whaddo i know???

Welcome to asylum! (from down on the Southern coast)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol they're gonna be here any day now :) bought it as a project and glad I don't ride it much cuz as we tore it apart we saw more and more unsafe shit the previous owner thought was ok hahaha

Next up is smoothing fork lowers (this Saturday) and trying to figure out how low to go in the rear when I order a new hardtail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot about this thread..got the rear and front wheels done, trued, mounted and balanced. This week We bolted on the hard tail and figured out how much to lower the front (2 5/8") then got the PVC spacers cut down to size, cut a few coils off the springs, tore apart forks for shaving the tabs on the lathe and ground the steering lock tab off the bottom triple clamp so I can send both triples and both fork sliders to powder coat this week :)

Also ordered fork rebuild kit with all new crush washers and bolts and seals and a tach plug kit from colony... :) It's coming along!!! Also my tank is in the mail...a narrowed sporty.

I attached a pic of the front tied down with a ratchet strap to see how much we should lower, and the wheels loosely bolted on. This will be the final stance

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts