Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which are better performance wise. Any downfalls to running either instead of the other? Solid lifters and tappets or hyrdraulic lifters and tappets?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Scorcher said:
What he said!!!

-Jason
Why anybody wants to run solids in this day and age for performance, is beyond me.

There are so many good high performance hydraulic lifter sets out there for the street, that don't pump down or collapse in hy-perf, high rev street applications, there isn't any real advantage to solids anymore.

Yeah, sure, they sound cool, but did you ever stop to think "why" solids sound like they do on a hydraulic cam? Hydraulics are a hell of a lot easirer on the valvetrain/camshaft when it comes to wear and longevity than solids are. Not to mention the fact that you always seem to be constantly adjusting solids to keep them working as they should. Hydraulics for the most part are set them, and ride. Unless you actually LIKE to sit out there and adjust them - most solid lifter manufacturers recommend you check the adjustment every 200 miles.

And, let's not forget the fact that if you're going with solids, you're pissing in the wind if a solid grind cam and pushrods that can handle a solid grind aren't going in with them. The ramp profiles on solid grind camshafts are completely different than hydraulic camshafts are, to obviously, WORK with the solids. There just aren't that many good solid grind camshaft profiles out there anymore. Hydraulic cam profiles are in the hundreds for getting the most out of your engine.

I haven't run solids for 20 years.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Irish Rich said:
Why anybody wants to run solids in this day and age for performance, is beyond me.I haven't run solids for 20 years.
I agree! I've been running Jim's lifters for about the last ten years and they rule ,the performance of a solid in a hydraulic! But they aren't old.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rich! I love it when you're contrary yet oh so logical . . .

;^}

Best,

BarryW

Irish Rich said:
Why anybody wants to run solids in this day and age for performance, is beyond me.

There are so many good high performance hydraulic lifter sets out there for the street, that don't pump down or collapse in hy-perf, high rev street applications, there isn't any real advantage to solids anymore.

Yeah, sure, they sound cool, but did you ever stop to think "why" solids sound like they do on a hydraulic cam? Hydraulics are a hell of a lot easirer on the valvetrain/camshaft when it comes to wear and longevity than solids are. Not to mention the fact that you always seem to be constantly adjusting solids to keep them working as they should. Hydraulics for the most part are set them, and ride. Unless you actually LIKE to sit out there and adjust them - most solid lifter manufacturers recommend you check the adjustment every 200 miles.

And, let's not forget the fact that if you're going with solids, you're pissing in the wind if a solid grind cam and pushrods that can handle a solid grind aren't going in with them. The ramp profiles on solid grind camshafts are completely different than hydraulic camshafts are, to obviously, WORK with the solids. There just aren't that many good solid grind camshaft profiles out there anymore. Hydraulic cam profiles are in the hundreds for getting the most out of your engine.

I haven't run solids for 20 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts