Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know that I finished my bike about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I had a friend of mine paint my tank & fender for me with a nice set of scallops per my design. I got the tank from another friend & stripped it down to bare metal. i found a small ding & some bondo but nothing to bad for a 40 year old tank. the paint is metallic black with metallic sand scallops with a nice gold pinstripe outlining the scallops. the color combo & design really came out nice. I paid him for the work but he gave me a real fair price for what it was.

i had the bike on the road for a week or so still ironing out a few small bugs here & there & noticed a small blister in the paint on the tank. i told my buddy who painted it about it & he said he'd fix it for me & wasnt sure why it was doing so. the blemish was right near the small dab of bondo so i thought it had something to do with that. well after another week or so, the dime sized blister turned into a blister about 4" across. so, i gave the tank back to my bud to take care of it. i was bummed to take my bike off the road but i wanted to paint to be decent again. He found out that the paint was messed up because of a pinhole in the tank. Gas was coming thru & ruining the paint.

i think ill be getting the tank back later this week & my question is this: would it be the right thing to do to pay him again or at least half? i know he spent more time & materials on it this time than he did last time & i dont want him to think im an ungrateful prick so id like to pay him but on the other hand, i gave it to him in bare metal - maybe he could have checked for a pinhole around the ding in the tank (where it was) & gotten it taken care of the 1st time around & i wouldnt have had to park my bike & he wouldnt have had to do everything all over again. should the time & materials be on him this time around? im in a bind here guys, what do you think i should do? he's a good dude & i know shit happens. tell me your opinions.

to (re)pay or not to (re)pay? that is the question.....

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would'nt think it's his responsability to check for leaks. Seems like one of those issues that was not really any ones fault but he shouldn't have to pay for it. I'm sure a deal could be struck and at a minimum you should pay for materials.

·
Registered
427 Posts
if it had a dent did someone grind the bondo out?? If so who did that?? did you use a pin welder to get the ding out or did you grind and go right over...can't blame a dented tank on him...it's your responsibility to check for leaks and seal the tank properly prior taking it to him and if it was good to go when you brought it over and if he tried to take the dent out with a pin welder then you can point your finger at him...being a part time collision technician it is easy as hell to weld a pin on to get a dinger out and have a very tiny pin hole where it welded to the panel from twisting it off for removal...I usually cut the pins and grind them flush...sounds to me it is either a stress crack from the ding which you can't blame him but if he used a pin welder it becomes his responsibility to check for leaks...there is some food for thought now check into that and be up front with the guy last thing you want is bad vibes between each other...

·
Registered
896 Posts
I would repay him. You'll probably need more work done down the road with future projects. It could save you some bucks in the future. Like someone else mentioned, if you were doing the body work and he was just laying down the paint the responsibility really falls on you.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input guys. yeah, it doesnt seem like its anyones fault. i stripped the tank down myself & then used a light wire wheel to get the bondo out. it was only a tiny dab. the ding is in a wierd spot on on the bonnie tank. the very top edge of the right knee pad flat area. im sure if we talk it over - everyone will end up satisfied. just wanted to hear some opinions/experiences.

·
Banned
43 Posts
A good experienced painter will either have you take it somewhere or have his own place that he uses to seal tanks.I wouldnt start any body work until the tank is pressure tested soldered or brazed if needed hot tanked,beadblasted,and sealed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
if i did that to my buddy/painter he'd rightly sling my ass out the door...

gutted you gotta repaint the tank, but pay your dues, it all comes back around...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Repay your buddy, the tank should have been checked before it was sent to him. Body work can be a pain in the ass, and doing it twice sucks. Paint supplies and labor isn't cheap. He should of checked it, but it should have been done before it was sent to him.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Unless he told you he would check it out, it's on you to be sure. You both learn a lesson-Old tank? seal it! and pressure test it. That way no problems. Now pay the man and keep yourselves friends.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey mike, i met you up at asbury a while back at the chopper show.

yeah, i guess my friend & i will take this as a lesson learned. this is the 1st bike ive built from the ground up on my own & this is also the 1st tank my buddy has painted. ive known him for a while & he's a great artist & is into cars & bikes as am i. he recently finished paint & body school & i wanted to give him an opportunity to show off his new skills since we usually end up at the same cruises/shows together. i was really busy working my ass off building the bike when i gave him the bare tank. i actually got the tank from a mutual friend of ours who ended up being the one to seal the hole. i think since it was toward the end of my project that we were both rushing because we were stoked the bike would be on the road so soon (i built the entire bike in a little over 4 months in a borrowed garage with minimal/no shop tools for about $5500)

anyhow, i feel better now about paying up. thanks for all of your input & wise points of view.

ill post some pics once i get the tank back on my bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts