Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an extra primary cover for my '70 T120R. I've been thinking about hoggin' it out, boring some holes, exposing the clutch, taking off about 2/3 of the cover completely. Obviously it will be run dry afterward. Any ill effects or reasons not to, other than the fact that it'll get dirty and I'll have to clean and lube it once in a while?

Anyone got any pics of hogged out covers like this? I think maybe the Dutchman's 500 had one?

-Bill

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Billdozer1811 said:
I have an extra primary cover for my '70 T120R. I've been thinking about hoggin' it out, boring some holes, exposing the clutch, taking off about 2/3 of the cover completely. Obviously it will be run dry afterward. Any ill effects or reasons not to, other than the fact that it'll get dirty and I'll have to clean and lube it once in a while?

Anyone got any pics of hogged out covers like this? I think maybe the Dutchman's 500 had one?

-Bill

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Billdozer1811 said:
Breather comes out of the top of the case, just inboard from the cover, so I didn't think it was an issue.

-Bill

Bill -

if you look close there's also 3 small holes below the engine sprocket which vent case into primary, lots of oil vapor there ..

pretty sure you'll have to weld/seal those off, & then there's a kit available to vent from that big hex plug behind your intake tappet block .. the places that sell belt kits have that breather setup ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dragon said:

Bill -

if you look close there's also 3 small holes below the engine sprocket which vent case into primary, lots of oil vapor there ..

pretty sure you'll have to weld/seal those off, & then there's a kit available to vent from that big hex plug behind your intake tappet block .. the places that sell belt kits have that breather setup ..

-Cool, thanks, Dragon.

-Bill

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
here's one I have, on a project motor I got from MatthewSD ..

seems to be the most 'typical' cut, & matches the 'swoosh' ..

I've seen pix of ******'s pre-unit done similarly ..

gotta keep in mind tho, both these primary chains and clutches were designed to be run "wet" .. & yes, it's generally for "looks", with or without a belt kit ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Billdozer1811 said:
Now I know about the other breather holes.
-Bill

more hmmmm material, I got wondering & went looking ..

the holes I mentioned that I knew about were in my '69 with a belt kit, that still needs to be sealed ..

but I checked the m.a.p. cycle site for apllications & to be sure about the alternate vent I mentioned .. and I see the vent kit listed for '70-'72 .. but the same belt kit for '69-'72 ..

http://www.mapenterprises.net/mapcycle/belt_drives.htm

better check with someone who knows the lowerends more intimately than I, to be sure there wasnt also a change between '69 & '70, like maybe some venting at the crank seal ?? or just what Is the difference re running dry/open on your '70 .. ??

to illustrate (I left these pix big for detail) .. verify my numbers, _C = '69 & _D = '70 ..

here is a '69 lower - without the relief/vent atop the primary .. note the 3 holes behind the engine sprocket/pulley ..

and on this '70 case half, the venting up top is obvious but the 3 holes are still present ..

common sense says there is still going to be venting - atmospheric with oil mist - from the small holes on each, but why the distinction of changing out for another vent '70 up .. now I gotta know ..

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Dragon, for the big ass photos and taking the time to look into it further. I wonder how much actually comes out of those three little holes?

Blackbob, did you plug 'em or just let them spit into the cover a little? Did you do a vent out behind the intake tappet like Dragon mentioned? I like the look of your unit motor with the welded cross bars, never thought of that, but it looks pretty cool.

-Bill

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.