Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally stopped riding the shit out of this thing (78 XS650) long enought to take some pics today. After a year and a half of dicking around I got my ass to workin and got her mobile. I am super stoked with how it turned out. still have some bugs to work out, yadda yadda yadda!

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the compliments. Boa, the fender is mounted to the swingarm so there were no rubbing issues to deal with. Most everything was ebay or swap-meet sourced. Picked the tank up at a swap for $10, not sure of the make. I was told it was off an FXE? Scored the shocks at an ABATE swap for $20. Pegs are SB Chevy cam ends. Swingarm is stretched 4.5" and the frame rails under the seat area have been shortened/tweaked to lower the seat height. Front forks have been lowered 1.5". Spray bombed everything. Stock wheels, tank and fender are John Deere Blitz Black. Frame is low gloss aluminum covered with matte gloss to dull it up. Misc other parts were just cleaned with a scotch brite pad on the die grinder and sprayed with clear to keep the rust demon away. Engine is stock, minus the Pod filters I scored at the local VW hop-up shop and the 1 3/4" stainless drags that I welded to the stock head-pipes and wrapped. I figure I have less than $1500 into it. I'd post some more pics but Im stuck on stupid today

·
Registered
436 Posts
thanks for the info. so the vertical fender stays are mounted to the swingarm, but is there a hinge or something on the front end of the fender, underneath the seat? trying to figure out how the rear fender pivots when the shocks are compressed and the swingarm moves up.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Grease Monkey said:
Finally stopped riding the shit out of this thing (78 XS650) long enought to take some pics today. After a year and a half of dicking around I got my ass to workin and got her mobile. I am super stoked with how it turned out. still have some bugs to work out, yadda yadda yadda!
Man this thing rocks! I love the way it sits! You have a winner there.

1500 in it - man I'm jealous!

Great Bike!

More pics please!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, thanks for the compliments! Boa, there is no hinge, just a plate that was welded to the "armpit" of the swingarm. Basically, the inside radius at the front of the swingarm just behind where the shaft goes through. Haha, I said shaft:D The swingarm was purchased already extended buy someone who lost interest in their own project. The 4.5" slugs were welded in in the area before the axle plates. So the swingarm comes back from the shaft, widens out behind the frame, and then takes a straight (sp?) shot back to the axle, keeping the stock dimensions at the rear wheel, just farther back. Cost me a whopping $40 clams. I know of a dude around my area that does XS swingarms for $150. He also makes the flat-track style underbrace for the swingarm as well. His name is Marvin, I'm sure he wont mind me putting his number here...Tell him Andy with the silver and black XS that blows smoke sent ya!

Marvin's #360-654-0748.

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
hey, thanks for taking the time to answer my dumb questions. so there's some clearance behind the seat for the whole assembly to move into when the shock compresses. it looked like it was mounted to the frame right below the seat and i was scratching my head trying to figure it out. hard to see from the small pics.

if you stop riding the shit out of it, get a photobucket or flickr account so we can see some hi-res pics! this bike definitely gets a spot in the jj "best of" in my book in terms of taking an old bike (extra points for starting with a non-HD or Brit bike), re-doing it by hand with scrounged parts for little money and coming out with a kick ass bike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really do appreciate the compliments. I built it for me, but it doesnt hurt to hear someone else say they dig on it too!

I have a photobucket account, I am just retarded. I can wrench, but stick me in front of a computer all I do is screw things up.

Fuck, Im too tired to figure this out right now. Gotta be up at 3:30. I'll try tomorrow

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.