Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G.Griffin is in the new issue of Street Chopper. We finally get to see more pics of that sweet ass bike. It's the only cool thing about that rag.

Also in the new Juxtapoz there is a bunch of art in memory of Indian Larry, if you dig that. Juztapoz has some pretty cool shit otherwise.

Git your read on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
is the new juxtapoz out on newstands or just for subscribers? i had a subscription but i dumped it. they started to focus too much on all that hipster limited edition toy shit and the street art movement. still a decent mag though. the new issue of Juice is pretty cool. article by jay adams and an interview with big Ben Shroeder. i picked up a book on war planes which is pretty cool too. it has some nice stuff on B-17's

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Christian said:
is the new juxtapoz out on newstands or just for subscribers? i had a subscription but i dumped it. they started to focus too much on all that hipster limited edition toy shit and the street art movement. still a decent mag though. the new issue of Juice is pretty cool. article by jay adams and an interview with big Ben Shroeder. i picked up a book on war planes which is pretty cool too. it has some nice stuff on B-17's
new Juxtapoz is at the newstand. I haven't seen a new issue of Juice in a while.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Christian said:
Dude...i hear ya.
I fucking hate those goddamn toys. It started drifting from its roots. Or maybe its just that the roots started getting mainstream. Either way, its not the mag it used to be but its still one of the better ones out there. This new issue is one of the better ones in the last few months.

I hear its gonna go monthly which means more fucking ads from Nike, Honda, and Scion, more shitty toys and graffitti and less good art.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah, im not sure what happened with Juxtapoz. it still has some good features here and there. I think everything just went too mainstream. Also, I don't think people are as interested in the Robert Williams, Coop, Pizz shit that really made up a decent sized part of the lowbrow scene when that mag was first getting started. the younger people probably just feel that stuff is stale and inaccessible compared to graffiti. all i know is i fucking hate limited edition vinyl toys that look like lego figures and sell for crazy money just cuz some hipster ****** art school graduate toy designer made 50 of them.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
more fucking ads from Nike, Honda, and Scion, more shitty toys and graffitti and less good art.
What is the deal with that shit? That Honda ad is fucked up. I just found an old Tattoo issue which was cool. But I agree, to many goofy regular shit ads and shit art. Underground is now aboveground.

That Rockin' Jellybean does some crazy shit though. And Hess, Coop, Williams, etc...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hand-made sissy bar is pointy and sharp!

The Rajah clips on the spark plugs will shock your knee!!

The custom-made pipes will burn your leg!!!

Hell yes!

That bike so fucking sweet, it's hard to get my mind around it!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I just got my first edition of Juxtapoz and Im diggin it. Its the first issue I have read, got the subscription off ebay for like 12 bux. The Indian Larry article is good, it covers mostely stuff that guys like us allready know about (how he was an addict,how he got shot in the head), but the Joe Coleman collage is sumthin fuckin else. I realy like how morbid the magazine is, covers alot of stuff thats out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
tbone16 said:
I just got my first edition of Juxtapoz and Im diggin it. Its the first issue I have read, got the subscription off ebay for like 12 bux. The Indian Larry article is good, it covers mostely stuff that guys like us allready know about (how he was an addict,how he got shot in the head), but the Joe Coleman collage is sumthin fuckin else. I realy like how morbid the magazine is, covers alot of stuff thats out there.
did you see the black and white issue with the Pushead interview? now that was a good one.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Griffin's bike should be in Juxtapoz. I'm a big fan of Twist, but the graffiti issue was a snoozer for me. The japanese issue is cool. I subscribe but I haven't got my Indian Larry issue yet.

I'm horrified at the stampede of artists willing to hawk cheap cars and tennis shoes. Mr. Cartoon's selling Nikes. A lot of talent out there can't wait to be company men it seems. ("Listen bitch, I's gittin' PAAAAAAID") It looks like commercial branding is the new art media, like oils or watercolor. It's sickening goofball crapola...but then so is most art (a lot of mine included!).

Let's just hope the artists working in this direction have artistic BALLS. If they do, then Proctor and Gamble will have to use Maplethorp's "Piss Christ" to sell fabric softener. YYYEEEEEHHHAAAAAW!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah, I was sorta bummed when I saw Mr. Cartoon selling fucking swooshes. I always liked his art/tatoos.

But who can knock those dudes for making some ends when the opportunity pops up? Not everyone can be a purist for life.

Conder said:
Griffin's bike should be in Juxtapoz. I'm a big fan of Twist, but the graffiti issue was a snoozer for me. The japanese issue is cool. I subscribe but I haven't got my Indian Larry issue yet.

I'm horrified at the stampede of artists willing to hawk cheap cars and tennis shoes. Mr. Cartoon's selling Nikes. A lot of talent out there can't wait to be company men it seems. ("Listen bitch, I's gittin' PAAAAAAID") It looks like commercial branding is the new art media, like oils or watercolor. It's sickening goofball crapola...but then so is most art (a lot of mine included!).

Let's just hope the artists working in this direction have artistic BALLS. If they do, then Proctor and Gamble will have to use Maplethorp's "Piss Christ" to sell fabric softener. YYYEEEEEHHHAAAAAW!!!!!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FYI- A Mr Cartoon tattoo is $1000.00 MINIMUM. ("Listen bitch, he's gittin' PAAAAAAID"). And that shit ain't got no cula!.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I like new castle.

And there is something to said about expensive tattoos.

A grand is a little ridicules, but I bet he nails everysingle one.

I had one done because the price was right. Worst mistake I have ever made.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts