Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running some short pipes (around 2') on my '04 sportster 883. They are wrapped with exhaust wrap. I have heard different rumors or people saying it's not good for the motor to run short pipes. So what exactly do I need to be aware of when running short pipes.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
How does the bike run? Are you using anything for added back pressure? Have you check your plugs to see the running condition?

jag1 said:
I'm currently running some short pipes (around 2') on my '04 sportster 883. They are wrapped with exhaust wrap. I have heard different rumors or people saying it's not good for the motor to run short pipes. So what exactly do I need to be aware of when running short pipes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike V said:
How does the bike run? Are you using anything for added back pressure? Have you check your plugs to see the running condition?
The bike is running real good. Plugs look good also. I am not using anything for back pressure. I was just wondering if there is any long term motor damage from running short pipes. Trying to clear up the rumors. Thanks

·
Registered
801 Posts
Are you just running the stock headers w/ no muffler, or are they a new set of pipes? Did you loose a bunch of performance when you went to this setup?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hogtownhd said:
Are you just running the stock headers w/ no muffler, or are they a new set of pipes? Did you loose a bunch of performance when you went to this setup?
Yes they are the stock headers w/ no mufflers. I went from V&H's straightshots to the headers. I lost a little on the low end but suprisingly not that much.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
depending on the length there is a possibility of burning a valve. I run a relatively short pipe on my rigid on the rear cylinder, I have had the mechanics at the shop I work at check it out and they all say I should be ok but you never know. I do run torque cones in them for some back pressure. You can see the rear pipe in this picture

·
Registered
801 Posts
jag1 said:
Yes they are the stock headers w/ no mufflers. I went from V&H's straightshots to the headers. I lost a little on the low end but suprisingly not that much.
I've also always heard that this is not good to do, but not sure technically why. I'd be more bummed about loosing power. I had cheapo drag pipes on my sporty, and switched up to a 2-into-1. Much better ride.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
loss of backpressure, also more heat will stay in motor and burned valves are a result. may run fine now, but damage is imminent I would guess. Hopefully you jetted richer, when jetting richer, you will notice the engine temp will drop and it will help but still, these motors like some reversion and backpressure. throw some torque cones and make sure you jet a smidgen richer.
Get some pipes on it, otherwise it looks like you have stock headers with pipe wrap and are trying to hard to be a biker like on the popular tv shows.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I don't think 2' (24") is too short for burning a valve as long as he rejetted his carb. I'm not an evo sporty guy but I'd be willing to bet they come lean as hell out of the factory so he'd want to jet richer anyways even without the short pipes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On my '86 evo I have just put a cv carb from a FLH and set it up with a dyno jet kit.. with "stocker" style pipes with less restriction.. they sound nice and loud and it has no popping/farting on deceleration. The pipes are about 2' and there are no problems. "torque cones" are a great idea if you can make them work for your application. I have seen/ heard the difference. They do work.

You will burn out your valves really fast with no backpressure due to a short exhaust system.

Any pics of your setup?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have rejetted to a 48 and two washers under the needle. I have a set of torque cones on the way. The bike runs real well, plugs are the right color and my oil temp gauge has stayed at the same temp as when I had the vance and Hines installed. I get no carb farts or popping during deceleration. I plan on building a set of pipes when I have the funding and time. In the mean time i will install the torque cones and keep a close eye on it. Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
jag1 said:
I have rejetted to a 48 and two washers under the needle. I have a set of torque cones on the way. The bike runs real well, plugs are the right color and my oil temp gauge has stayed at the same temp as when I had the vance and Hines installed. I get no carb farts or popping during deceleration. I plan on building a set of pipes when I have the funding and time. In the mean time i will install the torque cones and keep a close eye on it. Thanks for all the input
48 low is great start and the needle shimmed helps on the mid and top end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts