Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

since I managed to muck up Zgears' thread asking about polarising a dynamo (generator) on a Brit bike (+ ground) ..

here is a post I saved out of a thread on the topic, on the Horse tech board awhile back ..

from the amazing mind of Hessian Little Joe ..

Here ya go Buck! Read this an' you'll wanna choke me thru the 'puter screen!

by Little Joe (Login NomadLJ)

It was not my intention to imply that removal/disconnection of the generator from the regulator caused or is responsible for an instantanious<sp> 'de-polarization'(good grief!)of the generator armature...

Polarization is an etherial thing! Right up there with spoon bending and understanding the mind of Womankind!!! The way I see it is that the armature thingy spins within the field coil do-hickys and by way of one of 'em being of a Positive nature and the 'tother being of the Negative persuation this gits a passle o' electrons flowing hopefully in the direction of your battery...

Now the field coils are negative by nature of thems bein' grounded. Negativity is not a particular direction, flow pattern or definable charicteristic or substance... It is better defined as being without pattern, direction, flow, substance or personality for that matter... BUT Positivity on the other hand has substance, direction, flow and personality!!! Just stick a paper clip in a wall socket and you will see, feel and get real personal with it... Thus positivity can diminish from an armature while laying on a workbench, being too close to your stereo speakers, gettin' pissed on by the cat or just the instance of a nearby thunderstorm... Polarizing your 'generator armature' by introducing it to the positive side of your battery ever so briefly does get things inclined in the right direction and amounts to making sure the electrons get a head start in the proper direction of flow at the proverbial molecular level....

Because the former process in undertaken solely for the benefit of generator function, it has little to do with how the regulator will work when the generator IS pumping those pesky electrons... The main reason for warnings of polarizing is that it can be harmful to these newfangled solid state regulators. SO! Like I said do it with the regulator disconnected so as not to send any errent zappage through those delicate electronic thing-a-ma-jigs in the regulators!

Edison, Tesla and even Mr. Science were unable to explain this shit! But I think I gots the makin's of a NOBEL Prize in electrical theory here! Do the 'NOBEL' fellers give a prize in talkin' long bullshit out the side of yer neck? If so, I reckon I'm in the runnin' fer that too!

LJ

Posted on Dec 29, 2004, 2:44 PM

(and again, this is why I rave about the Cycle-electric genny with its attached solid-state reg. .. never has to be polarised ..)

D ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good post.

I don't want to drag it off topic...maybe I'm not. But what do you do to diagnose a charging system problem on a generator bike? I've been riding my '51 around on the battery for a month charging it when I get home. I threw a new sportster regulator on it hoping that would cure the problem...it didn't, the old regulator was a sportster too. I haven't done anything to try and figure it out besides changing the regulator and checking the voltage when its running (never over 12 volts). I was going to throw another generator on it, I've got an old one sitting here.
Are there any little tests I can do? Do generators just stop generating? Or could it just need to be polarized?

Thanks - Jeff

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nimrod said:
Good post.

I don't want to drag it off topic...maybe I'm not. But what do you do to diagnose a charging system problem on a generator bike? I've been riding my '51 around on the battery for a month charging it when I get home. I threw a new sportster regulator on it hoping that would cure the problem...it didn't, the old regulator was a sportster too. I haven't done anything to try and figure it out besides changing the regulator and checking the voltage when its running (never over 12 volts). I was going to throw another generator on it, I've got an old one sitting here.
Are there any little tests I can do? Do generators just stop generating? Or could it just need to be polarized?

Thanks - Jeff

Jeff do ya have any of those Old manuals ..

there's a bench-test procedure (that I cant recall verbatim) called "growling" the armature, with it apart .. I Think it has to do with your armature's windings having an internal short .. but .. dont quote me ..

short answer : yes generators do stop generating ..

D ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts