Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, got directed over here from the HAMB. I've got a couple RD's in the garage, one's a runner one's a "project"...nothing fancy, just old 2-strokes.

Anyway, can anyone ID this thing? My boss emailed me saying...

"I'm cleaning out the garage and want to get rid of it. My Dad was cleaning out his garage a few years ago and passed this along to me. He was told it was from an old
Harley when he acquired it. It seems to work well and is a three speed, no reverse. What ever it is from must have had a #50 chain primary drive and a v-belt final drive. The number stamped on the case is 25-10004. Someone theorized that it was a 1925 model. I found a photo of a 1924 Harley that could have the same transmission but it is very difficult to tell. The kick starter is in the right place as is the clutch actuator."

I thought someone here might know, or be able to send him in the right direction...

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup...looks like you've been here a while! Ryan kicked me over here after posting this on the HAMB...

You going to the Day at the Drags?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
here's a gearbox I sold not long ago, as part of a engine/tranny/magneto package out of a 1924 JD Harley.

you see many similarities (and there were likewise many similarities up into the boxes of the '30's VL's), But I think yours is much older, maybe from a twin or single back in the 'teens; namely because of the belt final but also the smaller sprocket instead of a kick-start - indicating a chain-to-pedals starting arrangement.

neat old stuff.

he might describe it as "early Harley gearbox - 3 speed, belt drive and sprocket for starter - email for pics", & list it here where the for-real oldtimers deal :

http://georgesantiquemotorcycletrader.com/

Good luck.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with Dragon ( if that matter much). I think its a fairly older trans. Here is a 35 or so VL trans that I have. Again like he said. The simalarities are there.

Dragon said:
here's a gearbox I sold not long ago, as part of a engine/tranny/magneto package out of a 1924 JD Harley.

you see many similarities (and there were likewise many similarities up into the boxes of the '30's VL's), But I think yours is much older, maybe from a twin or single back in the 'teens; namely because of the belt final but also the smaller sprocket instead of a kick-start - indicating a chain-to-pedals starting arrangement.

neat old stuff.

he might describe it as "early Harley gearbox - 3 speed, belt drive and sprocket for starter - email for pics", & list it here where the for-real oldtimers deal :

http://georgesantiquemotorcycletrader.com/

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts