Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out yesterday that someone from Down Under is repopping the old stlye ARD belt drive magneto housings to fit unit 650 Triumphs. These castings look damn near identical to the originals. The kit I saw comes complete, minus the Fairbanks-Morse mag that you have to supply. Two different vendors had these for sale, so this might be old news to some. Price was around $275 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Cool!:rolleyes: do you have any links?

VA Rebel said:
Found out yesterday that someone from Down Under is repopping the old stlye ARD belt drive magneto housings to fit unit 650 Triumphs. These castings look damn near identical to the originals. The kit I saw comes complete, minus the Fairbanks-Morse mag that you have to supply. Two different vendors had these for sale, so this might be old news to some. Price was around $275 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I have no links to the manufacturer.

There were two vendors with these kits on display.

1) Wolf Cycles (410)247-7420 (Baltimore, MD)

2) J&M Enterprises (856)447-509 (Cedarville, NJ)

I'm sure there are more...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
VA Rebel said:
Sorry, I have no links to the manufacturer.

There were two vendors with these kits on display.

1) Wolf Cycles (410)247-7420 (Baltimore, MD)

2) J&M Enterprises (856)447-509 (Cedarville, NJ)

I'm sure there are more...
I googled up some links ..

Wolf Cycles 410-247-7420 (Baltimore,MD) http://www.wolfcycles.tripod.com/

J&M Enterprises 856-447-5090 (Cedarvile, NJ)http://www.JMENTP.COM/

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Galaxie500XL said:
Here's another link from BCS.

http://www.britcycle.com/Products/ard_cdi_magneto.htm

Has anyone run one of these? Which would be better ARD or Joe Hunt. I'm thinking about getting one.

What's the down side on the mag other then no lights on the side of the road. I'm still waiting on a price on these things.
ok, that one you linked, while called a magneto is really more comparable to a CDI ignition or the boyer, note it still has an external coil and "box"..... but I have heard good reports on them, no idea about cost.

and to the "no lights on the side of the road" a magneto only replaces your igntion. you can still run a battery, you could make it one of the tiny sealed ones just for lighting backup.

the original ARD is getting very hard to find, but while using the same body & 'guts' as the Joe Hunt, with its own special timing cover casting it runs a belt-drive and locates the body in front of the engine, so it doesnt protrude like the Hunt coming straight out the timing cover. and the ARD still clears frame & pipes, it's a nice piece.

I'd like to see or hear more of the repro piece too.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The ARD CDI mag. unit is a very nice piece. I will share what I know. They have been around for years and were designed for flat track racing in mind. They are low profile mags for those times when you might lay your bike down on the dirt or accidently drop it on its right side. The Joe Hunt mag. has the possiblity of being destroyed if a drop or crash should accure. The ARD units are getting to be pretty pricey and are getting harder to get. The ARD shop is a small two man operation and only builds mags in small runs. I love mine. I wanted a Joe Hunt mag for the looks, but they are priced still about 150.00 more.

My 2 cents....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would love to see ard repopped. I'm growing tired of the hunt mag. I love it don't get me wrong, but its in such a bad spot. You really have to get use to riding with it. It's no fun when you pop off one of your plug wires while riding down the road. The older trump guys I've talked to that raced had no use for the hunt setup. I'm a little suprise that the guys at joe hunt haven't caught on to this and came up with a setup similiar to the ARD.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Dragon said:
I'd like to see or hear more of the repro piece too.
The bloke in Australia doing the repro version of the ARD is John Scerri,he was the one who started doing the repro finned triumph primarys years ago,does a nice finned cast oil tank and at one time was doing cast aluminium cylinders for Triumphs.He also manufactures Belt drives for most brands of British iron .
His Phone # is 61 3 9794 5612 (in the city of Melbourne if you want to get the time of day right for phoning)if any one wants to talk to him.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Galaxie500XL said:
Here's another link from BCS.

http://www.britcycle.com/Products/ard_cdi_magneto.htm

Has anyone run one of these? Which would be better ARD or Joe Hunt. I'm thinking about getting one.

What's the down side on the mag other then no lights on the side of the road. I'm still waiting on a price on these things.
I am no expert on this CDI but I own an old flat track bike with one. When I purchased the bike this ignition came on it and I had no clue as to what it was. I was going to post pics on the board and see if anyone could tell me what they thought.

What I do know about the ignition is it works excellent on my T100 500cc and with the mikuni carbs the motor fires first kick everytime. I am planning on running the wires through the frame to clean everything up a bit. The ignition must be bulletproof as the bike has been laid down on the flat track, CDI side down, several times and it still works flawless.

I have the cyllinders and head pulled off getting reworked and a bore so I can not take a movie clip of how it runs. Since you are in Austin as well when I get the motor back from the machine shop you are welcome to come over and see it work in person. I included pics below.

P.S. You will have to drill a hole for the wire to feed out the back of the points area. My coil and other parts are mounted under the fiberglass tank. Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts