Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to figure out what this magneto came off of...Im thinking a old Indian hillclimber but not sure..Anyone here know what model or what it would have come off of...The tag on it says Edison-Splitdorf Corporation..West Orange NJ..Edison Magneto..Type RM..Serial # Q40641 Spec# 04054P

·
Registered
357 Posts
Enfield, Indian...use your Google-Fu. People are repopping those caps as well.
Could possibly, it's set up for a twin. On Enfield twins, the mags ran off the intake cam sprocket, but the sprockets fit on a tapered shaft on the cams. That sprocket doesn't look like it would work on an Enfield (without machining or some modifications).

·
Registered
838 Posts
With the tiny chain drive sprocket looks to be a knuckle head mag conversion. It goes where the generator goes on a Knucklehead. you have to grind off part of the mounting boss (I think the generator idler boss?) inside the cam cover so the chain will miss it. Looks like a neat piece. i think they had a half moon piece that sits in the generator saddle as well so the mag sits flat. My memory is bad but i think Chet herberts knuckle the beast had a similar set up. Just my 2 cents. Let the experts flame on!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You guys are forgetting the Indian Chief. The ES was the factory mag for Indian Chiefs, and it sat up on the "shelf" on the cases, in front of the front cylinder. If there wasn't a magneto, the ignition coil sat on the shelf. Some Chiefs had battery ignition, some had magneto ignition, and I've seen Chiefs with both battery and magneto ignitions on the same bike (but not in use at the same time). The Indian 4's had one driven on the L/H side of the engine, too.

Burt Monroe ran the ES magneto mounted and driven up front on his Bonneville bike, and a lot of Scout racers and hillclimbers converted the ES magnetos to run upright, out of the distributor hole vs. being driven up front.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The edison splitdorf shown was used on chiefs and scouts. Each (the scout and the chief) turns in a differrent direction. The chain drive set up is definately big twin harley. I am curious if the mag is a 45 degree or a 42 degree magnito. One would be harley and the other indian. I think the prewar WR also used a front mount edison split dorf also. Check beauty of speed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts