Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think I sold the rolling chassis. So tonight I began to pull the motor and trans. It's kind of ashame because they've been together for three decades. I feel bad spliting it up...but I've got an old VL frame waiting for some knucklehead power. I have grown more fond of the long old girl, but I still think she's ugly. It does have that hardcore meanie look to it though. Next hard part will be robbing my old unfinished Royal Enfield land speed bike of its girder fork.

Anyway...I have a couple of questions.

First the distributor. Is this odd...I've never seen one like it. Every knuckle I've seen has a points module firing a coil to both cylinders?

And second...I got a little ahead of myself and pulled the clutch and primary belt (didn't even know there was a belt under that cover). Can I somehow lock the engine and trans to pull the belt pulley from the engine and clutch flange from the trans, or should I just go ahead and reinstal the clutch and primary belt?

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey Nimrod, all you need to lock thos pulleys is a piece of steel/aluminum bar stock that basically sits on the teeth of your pulleys. Set it at a 45 degree angle so that cranking on your compensating nut pushes against the clutch basket and you'll essentially be locking the motor. Switch the angle of the plate when puttin everything back on and you'll be good to go. I hope this answers your question. At least #2 that is, can't help you with #1, never having owned a Knuck...yet.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
393 Posts
never seen that type of timer on any h-d before, it is certainly not oem. as for pulling the motor pully, use an air impact to remove the nut. most pullys have 2 threaded holes for attaching a puller. mount the puller & apply some pressure. tap the center bolt with a hammer to break the taper shaft's seat to the pully. dont wail on it though. often they will pop off without the hammer taps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony Bones said:
That woodpile shot...that's a beautiful picture.
That woodpile is my kickstand. And where disassembly is taking place, I've regressed to working like a hillbilly...no more air tools for now! When the sun sets I retire to my porch and the old 5 string...ha ha ha.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Irish Rich said:
The distributor was made by Blu-Arc, out of buisness now.

The last units they made were back in the middle '80's.
The cap and clamps look identicle to my Chief disty. I am sure the lower base is different to fit the knuck, but I bet the points and condenser is Indian.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
oldspeed said:
The cap and clamps look identicle to my Chief disty. I am sure the lower base is different to fit the knuck, but I bet the points and condenser is Indian.
Well, yes and no. The lineage is Indian, but like the Blue Streak points from a Chevy 6 that most Harley guys use, the Indian distributor and it's related components originally came from a Ford tractor application. The complete Indian distributor was a straight off the shelf production Autolite unit, with a bakalite cap with two towers blanked out.

The Blu-Arc was one of the first aftermarket single-fire ignition systems for a Harley. They were available for Sportys and BT's. The guys that developed it were Don Hollingsworth, Tom Sifton, and Mert Lawell. It also featured a fully machined billet distributor body, and needle roller bearings on the distributor shaft, vs. oilite bushings.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Irish Rich said:
Well, yes and no. The lineage is Indian, but like the Blue Streak points from a Chevy 6 that most Harley guys use, the Indian distributor and it's related components originally came from a Ford tractor application. The complete Indian distributor was a straight off the shelf production Autolite unit, with a bakalite cap with two towers blanked out.

Are you saying the original Indian disty were four cly tractor units, you may be right but I don't believe so, the shaft always had two lobes and the original caps I have only show two towers and no markings were the other two were blanked off. I believe at the time autolight made a indian only disty.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Well, you have a '48 Chief, take the number off the tag on your Auto-Lite distributor, and the number off your regulator and generator, and try and cross the number thru on an old Hollander Exchange, and see how many applications they fit.

Same thing on every bearing you have in your whole bike, straight off the shelf bearing numbers, no special application or one-off bearing numbers like Harley did at the same time.

Here, check out this 100pt '39, and tell me what the distributor cap looks like, and then check out this factory photo of the '34-'39 distributor, and see if it doesn't match in configuration.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Irish Rich said:
Well, you have a '48 Chief, take the number off the tag on your Auto-Lite distributor, and the number off your regulator and generator, and try and cross the number thru on an old Hollander Exchange, and see how many applications they fit.

From the pictures you provided it appears that the dist. was capped off, and as I said you may be right, however I think in the early days it was a common engineering practice especially for low volume applications to make another part from already existing tooling, I know we do it with our diecast connectors (amphenol aerospace) to fit what Marketing has come up with. That does not mean it is the same part or the application was derived from the tractor stuff, it was a way to utilize existing tooling, so yes you are correct, and after all I guess my chief is close enough to a tractor not to care.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Nimrod said:
I think so too!

Thanks.
Different strokes for different folks.(G) I kinda like the 60s/70s chops, "specially with "rare" stuff like Harman parts.
Larry T
BTW, Harman wasn't the only one to build "spirder" style front ends. Does anyone remember who else did? CRS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.