Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is it? Showing my ignorance here, but I couldn't identify it. Guy says it's a 'Harley something'.

Found it on C-list in my area. Doesn't have a price listed, the guy says to make him an offer. There's also a 73 Aermacchi for $1600 that the guy claims ran when he parked it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: old harley of some type and a 73 Aermacchi - found on clist in my area.

Ah, thanks. Edited.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Harley/Aermacchi M50, mid sixties. Very difficult to find parts for. The Sprints have a much better parts network.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sporticus is on the money. That's a 1965 Harley/Aermacci M50. I had one for my first bike in 1969. 3 speed transmission, with the left hand-grip being the shifter. They're not worth a helluva lot, especially as rough as that one looks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, M-50 "Leggero." That one there, $100 parts bike at best. I always thought the tanks on those would make a great little peanut tank on a chopper, although they might be too small.

The other Aermacchi could be one of around 5 or 6 different bikes Harley imported for that year. The most desireable in '73 are the 350 Sprint and the X-90, a 90cc 4 speed mini bike that does 60 mph on 10 inch wheels!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sporticus is on the money. That's a 1965 Harley/Aermacci M50. I had one for my first bike in 1969. 3 speed transmission, with the left hand-grip being the shifter. They're not worth a helluva lot, especially as rough as that one looks.
I had one too,1967.My dad bought it for me as a xmas present.
Two stroke,the gas cap was also the measuring cup for the oil.
The clutch cable was prone to breakage & the parts guy at the Harley dealer in Norfolk,VA. & I were on a first name basis.I was 13 years old & the coolest kid in the neighborhood.:D

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info. Good to know. I didn't end up picking it up, but I'm still eyeing the 73. It looks pretty sharp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
a couple of months ago i sold the tank from one of those on #bay for 250.00... if you can pick it up cheap it might be worth it

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aha! They sold the small red one, but the 73 sprint is still up for sale. Here's a picture. The quality of the pix are poor, but it doesn't seem to be in horrible shape. I seriously considered it for $1600. Says it was parked in a garage in 1980 in running condition. He also has a75 125SX with 1874 miles for $700. Not really into the SX's though.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
they are not worth to much, I have a 75 sx250 completely , fully restored, fresh never started motor since build and I'd say its probably worth 2,000 - 3,500 range at best. especially in this economy. real world, probably less.

Aha! They sold the small red one, but the 73 sprint is still up for sale. Here's a picture. The quality of the pix are poor, but it doesn't seem to be in horrible shape. I seriously considered it for $1600. Says it was parked in a garage in 1980 in running condition. He also has a75 125SX with 1874 miles for $700. Not really into the SX's though.

·
Registered
935 Posts
something parked for 30 years will probably need a total engine rebuild if it,s going to be reliable.stuff dries out and cracks,parts get pitted from not being moved,it looks pretty nice but 1980 was a long time ago,you can probably get one cheaper if you,re patient

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
something parked for 30 years will probably need a total engine rebuild if it,s going to be reliable.stuff dries out and cracks,parts get pitted from not being moved,it looks pretty nice but 1980 was a long time ago,you can probably get one cheaper if you,re patient
I figured it would need a rebuild, but I didn't realize I could get one cheaper. Thanks! I'll keep looking around.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Never had an m50, but I picked up an x90 mini bike at an AMCA swap meet for $40. I'll confirm what was said about them earlier in this thread, they'll do 60 mph no problem!

·
Registered
33 Posts

They all were parked in running condition.....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They all were parked in running condition.....
That is the damn truth. Haha. I've bought several that 'were parked in running condition'. Some turned out to be nightmares, and some turned out to be goldmines. I picked up one recently, and doubled my money on it in a month... But I also lost my ass on a BSA when I was a teenager. :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts