Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I wanna know... Is this a real Bates, or not..?

I've been discussing with Mr. NoCal4Q... We couldn't really figure it out.

Wes, I can't remember when I got it from you... Did you tell me it was a NOS Bates, or an old Bates seat pan that is re-upholstered..?

Both seat and pillion pad have some old stickers with some writing/printing on there... No Bates decals. Who can tell what it is from the shape, stitching, etc...

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Hope this helps...the pic with the stickers is a new seat...the other pics are of a swap meet seat I picked up....measures 11x15 inches, but I know different sizes were made.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crow said:
Not sure on the seat either, but shouldn't that be a DIG sitting there? I'm tellin Will and Chad.
hahahaha!! That is a June '03 issue of Ride with the best interview on Vic Murphy ever!! My friend gave it to me the other day.. :)

Hatch... Your seats have a lttle different shape and different stitching....

Someone should know....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know that Bates made seats in zodiac vinyl, and your pan is definitely the right shape to be a Bates. It's hard to say for sure without any tags on it anymore.

Who cares anyway...it's a cool seat regardless.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bass said:
I know that Bates made seats in zodiac vinyl, and your pan is definitely the right shape to be a Bates. It's hard to say for sure without any tags on it anymore.

Who cares anyway...it's a cool seat regardless.
It's definitely a cool seat... I'm just a neurotic freak who wants to know if it's real or not..?

If it's real I could sell it to Japan for 1200 bucks... :p

How's the progress on your project Bass..? I'm always curious after those...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The p pad looks just like the Bates one I have right here. Rivets, stitching pattern, shape, everything. Mine's stamped bates on the back with a rectangular Bates sticker on the bottom near the back and 2 air holes on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
from what ive seen with the repop seats, the spring mounting studs are about 6-1/8 inches apart and i forget how long. The bates seats that i have are wider then the repops (and these are the narrow ones) have the spring mounts closer to 7 to 7-1/4 apart? (im not walking to the garage to check) and have a bates tag on them thats either yellow or white depending on when they were made.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dutch I bought a seat pan off Wes on the Bay......he had said that it was a "Medium (size) Bates".......and that they were "aquired" from a dude who claimed to have once worked at Bates.....and that these pans were indeed Bates but that they were brought home before they were stickered....mine is Identical to yours and showed YEARS of shelf wear when I got it....had a funny old rubber edge strip grey in color half glued to the seat pan edge also...had rivet/screw holes drilled around the edges and from the Bates medium I compared it to (that had the markings) it was identical in every way sans the Bates decal and mine was bare w/ no upholstery........hope that helps....at least that was the Ebay ad from Wes "as I remembered it"......don`t quote me though

·
Registered
149 Posts
phony hawk?
tilly where the threaded spring mounts come out it looks different theres a hole around yours. bates look welded. and the slots where the other mounting srews stick out look smaller. nerd out

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
definately a Bates. The stickers on the bottom (12B, 11B, etc) were codes the Bates factory in Long Beach used so that the pans and the covers could be matched up in the assembly process. All the cardboard for the pads was cut in a couple of different sizes and stickers laid on to make sure the vinyl or leather would be going on the correct pan or cardboard for the pads since they were different sizes. Often times they would be stamped with an inspection sticker, like "insp8" Inspector number eight. If you compare the vinyl of the older seats to the vinyl they have today in most cases the stuff today will not be as bright as it was thirty years ago. Probably different vinyl making process involved. I bought about 50 Bates pans and a few covers from a guy who worked at Bates in the late sixties and early seventies and took a bunch of stuff when he left (maybe got fired he did not say EXACTLY how he got the 50 pans and odd covers). But he explained to me that the seat pans came in three sizes, small medium and large. The larger ones were being phased out by the late sixtie as the trend went toward the smaller chopper seats and away from the bigger seats of the 1950s. The mediums and smalls could easily be confused on the assembly line, costing time and of course money. he said that not all seats left the factory with the Bates sticker based on customer requests, but many retained the inspection stamp and the inventory sticker.

You can also tell by the pan, it has a different shape than anything else and if it hard to find two that match exactly. They were stamped out of metal then beaten on a little to get just the right shape for the leather. The later seats that were made by Dixie in Italy and then in China. The italian ones were made from Bates original pans when Bates went out of business. Old Harry Denune of Dixie Superior had them made in Italy when Bates went out of business. When the Italian ones were no longer available, then the Chinese started making them for Dixie from the italian pans, and the pans got further aways from the Bates pan. Sort of a copy of a copy of a copy, becomming of less quality as it went along. Now the Chinese don't make them any more and they are made in India, still by Harry Denune of Dixie Superior. The pans are of even worse quality as they are a cheaper copy of a copy of a copy of the original Bates seat.

BAR Enterprises makes a bunch of solo seats too, but they are made in Mexico and are far less of a force on the market.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.