Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...can anyone give me a clue as to what happened to the clutch on my '56 Pan. Didn't want to start, when it finally did and I got out on the street, the clutch was slipping like crazy. Limped her home, found the fiber plate closest to the basket ground down, looks like it might have ground down the basket too (this is my first belt drive, not sure how the clutch surface on the basket is supposed to look). No problems whatsoever until this happened, bought the bike last fall, replaced the clutch over the winter because the old one looked pretty gunky & worn. Anyhow, just curious if someone has an idea as to why on this one...

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds like a misalignment isue. The basket shifted outward into the clutch pak and wore the plate out. The clutch assembly is located by the clutch hub on the mainshaft and can't be adjusted except by modifieing the base plate. But the front pulley can be adjusted with a spacer. I use two different motor sprockets on my 56 pan/shovel a 24 & 25. (The 25 when the chain strech will allow.) My 24 has a step on the inner side but the 25 doesn't. So I use a spacer to align it properly. Was the front pulley nut tight? If it was loose it would also cause what you have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts