Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all .. how much oil does a 71 ironhead need to run .Thinking of making a oil tank 5 inches around and 10 inches long .

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
3 quarts with 1/2 quart for air expansion........

...Roach.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
No prob, if you want to you can run a oil filter and a cooler to increase the capasity, remeber that Air cooled bikes are allso Oil cooled....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am considering building a tank as well and have the same questions... mine is an 80 ironhead, how much does the motor hold and what is the required capacity? Good idea on the filter... also where do i get the return line bung with the tube so that i can run the line to the bottom of the tank and make sure the oil enters the tank at the top... or is that a tube i need to make?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am considering building a tank as well and have the same questions... mine is an 80 ironhead, how much does the motor hold and what is the required capacity? Good idea on the filter... also where do i get the return line bung with the tube so that i can run the line to the bottom of the tank and make sure the oil enters the tank at the top... or is that a tube i need to make?
motor does not hold any to speak of, because it is a dry sump. the tank should have 3 quarts like roach said. and why not just weld your return and vent bungs at the top of the tank? no need for over complicated tubes and such.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Aesthetics I guess. If the lines come from the bottom it's a cleaner less cluttered look...gotta weld the bung anyway right? Saw a couple at the last swapmeet with the tube figured it's normal piece. Guess not?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Don't forget that piping adds capacity. Larger pipe ads more but flow slows down and can cause turbulence. Re( Reynolds value over 3k can be probable turbulence).

V=velocity of liquid
P(rho)= density of liquid
D= diameter of pipe
m(mu)= viscosity of liquid

Ideally the liquid flows best with laminar flow, and will have a parabolic flow pattern ( edges travel slower than middle) and the pump may get more work than designed for it by making the feed line to the oil cooler too big, but you may be able to add significant amounts of oil to the system and keep a smaller tank.

See I was going someplace with that.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Well mat, dat dar Expliens it to us dummys.. ;)

Yer Oil tank is dun and the basket, gas tanks next.....

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Well mat, dat dar Expliens it to us dummys.. ;)

Yer Oil tank is dun and the basket, gas tanks next.....
Lol I just keep thinking about a very small oil tank with larger than normal lines for holding bulk. I was thinking about a 1.5 quart sized tank with lines & cooler holding the rest.

Prolly end up puking the oil out of the tank onto the floor :p

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
My CH horseshoe holds 4 quarts. The last place I would look to save space on is the oil tank. You must have clean, cool oil and plenty of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts