Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to build an oil tank for my Triumph. I have been able to make the raw tank with the drain and fill plugs.

But now I have two quesitons:

1. Does the t-pipe have to be attached to the tank? I was thinking that it would be easier to just have a split in the oil line.

2. The cutout pictures I have seen of the tanks show the return line leading up through the bottom and I have heard some people mention a restrictor in the return line.

Can you have have the return line just feed in the top?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
one_bitter_dude said:
I am trying to build an oil tank for my Triumph. I have been able to make the raw tank with the drain and fill plugs.

1. Does the t-pipe have to be attached to the tank? I was thinking that it would be easier to just have a split in the oil line.

2. The cutout pictures I have seen of the tanks show the return line leading up through the bottom and I have heard some people mention a restrictor in the return line.

on a harley the vent line and the pump return line just dump in the top of the tank above the oil level. pretty sure a triumph does the same. tanks that have all the fittings on the bottom just use "stand pipes" that extend through the inside of the tank to a point above the oil level.

·
Registered
411 Posts
one_bitter_dude said:

The return going into the bottom of the oil tank is a tube that runs to the top of the tank inside of it so it dumps out but it is a smaller line which causes a sort of back pressure causing the oil to move up the t-line into the top of the rockers. If you try and t the line without the restrictor you will get no oil up to your rockers. Its different than Harley stuff.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
one_bitter_dude said:

Answers 1 ) no: the rocker feed just needs to be plumbed in the return line
2) you will need to have restriction , use same size hole as in stock tank ( sorry cant remember what it is and my bike aint parked here so I cant check)
3) yes you can feed the return line into the top of the tank rather than going thru it .
Hope that helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts