Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I need to know about oil lines? I was going to run the oil lines tomorrow and I was just hoping I could swing buy an auto zone or similar and pick up some line, but I wanted to make sure that there isn't anything I need to know about it.

It is a triumph 500 if that maters.

·
Banned
648 Posts
On your return line, it needs to split so it sends half the volume up to the head and half back to the tank. When this splits, the line size needs to be reduced so the oil will want to go all the way to the rockers. In other words, don't make make it all one size or it'll just take the path of least resistance and dump back into the bag without sending sufficient oil to the top end. I think if your return inside the tank is pinched off or reduced some way it will accomplish the same thing.

This is how it was explained to me on my 650, and it seemed logical. The 500 is identical as far as I know. I'd like to see Wes or Trumpnut weigh in and see if I've got it right.

-Bill

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A buddy gave me an oil bag that he had laying around in his garage because "it has this extra hole in this feed" So I have the rocker feed. I got kind of lucky there.

I was wondering about the oil lines themself. I just wasn't sure if I could just go and pick any old line or if the oil line was special due to the heat.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
if you're using rubber hose it's best to get something like fuel line because it's reinforced. at any auto parts stor you can get it by the foot. if ya ask the guy for auto oil or fuel hose you'll be ok.
there is thinner hose(like vaccuum hose) that's not reinforced i guess guys use, but i dont think i would. i dunno if there's to much pressure there, but it can colapse.
if you look at the end of the hose and see what looks like stitches in the rubber you're ok.

if you're goin' hard-line steel, stainless steel, and copper are ok for oil.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
beatcad said:
if you're goin' hard-line steel, stainless steel, and copper are ok for oil.
I bought brake line from NAPA and it worked great. Just use a smaller size for the rocker boxes like Bill mentioned. I used 3/16 for the rockers and 1/4 for the main lines. Looks nice when you go over them with a scotch brite pad or something. They match the cast aluminum color of the engine components now.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You can use the reinforced black rubber hose 3/8", 5/16", or whatever from any auto store. Works on HD's and Indians so I'm sure it'll work on Triumphs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts