Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets pretend i want to make my own hard(copper or brass) lines from the oil pump to the oil tank.
for aruments sake lets say it's a 50's H-D w/ a wraparound tank.
i would make 'em w/ double flare ends and flare fitting, but i saw some eng oil lines(from case to rockerbox) made w/ compression fittings and made me think about that.
any thoughts pro or con either way?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I've used the compression type fittings a few times with ZERO problems. I'm assuming your question is more concerning the fittings than whether or not the tubing will hold up under vibration. That being said, the reason I even ever tried the compression fittings is because we use them at my job for hydraulic connections and lubrication connections that far exceed the pressure of our motorcycles engine oil pump........heck, if you know the sizes of the fittings you'll require I may even have a couple lying around that you can have for the cost of packing/shipping them to ya....
~Bruce Wagner

·
Registered
935 Posts
vibration not pressure would be the cause for most failures on the motorcycle application.I have seen quite a few that are mounted at the ends with rubber tubing and double clamped.thus isolating the line itself from engine and road vibrations.but it's not a real clean look.and next time dont say let's pretend,you aint foolin nobody you wanna make copper oil lines for you're bike ,so go ahead and do it..

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Double flares are for brake lines on cars.
yes they are, and brake lines on motorcycles.
i like making them and know they hold pressure and wont leak.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
next time dont say let's pretend,you aint foolin nobody you wanna make copper oil lines for you're bike ,so go ahead and do it..
i meant let's pretend i have a motorbike from the 50's
i did copper oil lines on my BSA.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Here is a "On the Road Story"

This happen to me many years ago...Same bike as you see in this photo.

Harley made oil lines that was steel on the Hardtail bikes of yesteryear's.
The 52 I have, had the stock lines on it from day one when I first got it.
Been riding it about 3 or 4 years the way it came...

On a ride though the boonies, in the Hills of Kentucky came up on a pretty good curve in the road...Had a bit of speed going on..Wasn't Hot-Dogging at all. But was enjoying letting her romp just a little.

Well Sir...as I started to lean into the curve, I felt the rear end swing out. The next thing I knew what was going on, I had the forks on the stop like Kenny Rogers flat tracking !!!....WTF...The feed line at the rear of the oil tank broke and drowned the tire.

At that point in time..
I got rid of all of them ....Before they got rid of me...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
My mother told me that if I did not have anything positive to say, not to say anything at all.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have found that hard lines work well IF both ends are NOT hard mounted. i.e. oil bag is rubber mounted. Saying that, I have used SS not copper. I also use Swageloc fittings. Espensive yes..leak no. Like everything else, well thought out and executed will yield the best results.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts