Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys here's another one for ya. i've decided to cut up my stock '71 BSA to make the kinda chop i want. i will not be using the stock frame, so i will have to use an alternative oil bag/tank/reservoir. i have one in mind, but i need to know how much it needs to hold. i'm guessin' about 2 or 3 quarts. what's the scoop guys?

·
Registered
484 Posts
2 will work, but 3 is better.

Good idea to make/use a tank large enough so that it has some breather space, (maybe 2/3 full of oil at max)

·
Registered
28 Posts
beatcad said:
i'm guessin' about 2 or 3 quarts. what's the scoop guys?
Yeah, in my '71 trump (same as Bsa)..it's almost 2.5.

But, I don't want you to know that 'cause I don't want to see another perfectly good frame chopped.
good luck though.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hey,That's the problem with the OIF Triumphs.When that frame was designed the oil filler was going to be in front of the fuel tank (by the neck).Then it was discovered that the oil would foam up and run out of space.So what the engineers did was move the filler to between the seat and tank.The move cost around one quart of precious oil.The OIF bikes only hold around two quarts of oil and this is their downfall.The bikes with the oil bags held around three quarts, much better.If you own a OIF triumph I advise you to at least put an oil cooler set up on and change your oil more often.The more oil the better.Just my 2 cents worth,Frosty

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx for the advice guys. i will not cut up the stock frame. i have another i was gonna build up a unit trump chop, but plans have changed. another fellow JJ member mite want it, so i'm gonna biuld it w/ my BSA.

the idea i've had for years was to use a stock '40s '50s car oil filter housing. than i saw cole foster use one(the aftermarket beehive style) on his blue bike a couple years ago, so i shelved the idea for awhile. i gave away an engine outta my '55 chevy this fall and kept the filter housing and started measuring and figureing how it would work. than the crocker on the cover of the new easyrider has done it also(beehive again). so fuck it! i'm gonna do it anyhow with a stock steel one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts