Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I recieved my weld-on hardtail section for my 72 OIF today from British Cycle Supply. I ordered through them as they were the only semi-reputable dealer that offered one. After doing a little mock-up I find that it is only about 1" over stock, maybe a little smidge more! From my measurements I don't even think I can put a solo seat on it without rubbing on my tire! I am probably going to return it and just eat the shipping costs. Anyone have any suggestions??? Anyone here willing or know anyone willing to fab one up for me. I would rather pay someone a little extra to get what I want and at good quality as I dont have the equipment/skills to fab one up myself. I see triumphwizard on egay has a 4" over one but I have heard nothing but bad stories about his hardtails. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
mattyoung52683 said:
Well I recieved my weld-on hardtail section for my 72 OIF today.....
I see triumphwizard on egay has a 4" over one but I have heard nothing but bad stories about his hardtails. Any insight would be appreciated.
well, if you would call this insight, x2 ..

first off, maybe, weigh the cost of "eating ship .." x2 ; vs adding a couple inches in the straight legs yourself (or who-ever ..) putting a weld-on onto a oil-in-frame is fab work, already .. shouldnt be much worse to make it work ..

second, & I dont have any connection or stake in any of this, just using the tools anyone should use ..

going by his record :

http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=triumphwizard&items=200&page=1&frompage=-1&iid=320005247385&de=off

Over 99% positive out of Over 6000 transactions across Over 7 years .. doesnt sound all that horrible ..

maybe you should share "all these bad stories" about this triumphwizard ..

please tell us if we need to beware, as if he's another Marshall Hagy of Chicago-grade-horror ..

also, there are many "bad stories" going around recently about the bolt-on type hardtails' fitment issues .. from many suppliers .. & again, the weld-on piece is fab work in nature, expect it ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yah, i say strretch the shit. Sleeve it up with thin wall tube and you realy cant fuck up the weld, i mean you already had the cods to weld on a hard tail, you might as well stretch it a pinch.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stories about triumphwizard's hardtails I have heard are that they are fabbed up crooked. Uneven axle plates, tubing etc. My first post probably sounds a little exaggerated as I was kind of worked up at the time. After looking closer at the hardtail I found that axle plates where not square either, one was about 1/8" from being square. Maybe I am expecting too much to buy a prefab'ed hardtail that doesn't have fitment issues. Trumpnut, I will be sending you a PM. Thanks

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
I bought a hardtail from triumphwizard....the tubes were welded in the axle plates on different angles from side to side.....so they put a second bend in one of the lower tubes to make it somewhat fit their jig....gimme a break. I called him after I cut it apart and fixed it. Rude is an gross understatement the way he talked to me....He promised to refund me 50 dollars for my trouble.....never happened. So that makes his word mean nothing...... I have never met him...but my experience on his product, service, and promise is a big "0" .........Until I recieve my refund, I will relate this info to everyone thinking about buying for him. Beware.

And as for the idea of stretching the tubes on matts section, if you stretch the tubes, the angles on the axle plates will also need some changes, so it's not just a simple re/do.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply Hatch. Do you know a reputable person locally (IN, MI, OH area) that would be willing to fab one up for me? Thanks again for all your advice and help.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Guess I'm in the 1% on this issue.

IMHO, R&R's OIF hardtails are pure shit, and I dealt with them in person, not just thru phone calls or the 'Net. Not my first dealings w/ Tom either, but most likely my last. After two attempts, they conceeded it was the "best they can do". Some who post here saw this abortion.

Shame, because they don't lack the machine equipment. The problem is a lack of craftsmanship and attention to detail. Maybe R&R has been in the business too long, because they just don't give a shit about quality.

VR

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
A close friend that is a superior fabricator is making a fixture right now....I am going to have him make me a tail section for my sporster. I can't say when it will be done, but I'll post pics and details if he decides to make some for other bikes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I deal with Gary at British cycle all the time, super great guy to deal with...however, he has confided in me a lot of the frames and hardtails they sell have alignment issues. They have added the following disclamer on their website:
Please bear in mind that all tail sections and frames we sell for British bikes are manufactured with some offset to reflect the run of the rear chain, and thus are not intended to be symmetric. In addition, due to slight warpage caused by cooling after manufacture, long storage, and shipping, it is not unheard of for frames or tail sections to require some slight alignment during assembly of the motorcycle. As all of these items are made of mild steel which is quite malleable, this should not be much trouble to affect, and does not indicate a faulty frame or tail section, just normal manufacturing tolerances for this type of product.

Food for thought,
Matt

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm... thanks for the info, I don't recall seeing that on the catalog I downloaded but I didn't look through all the fine print either. I am not knocking the company as I know they don't manufacture the part either. I just hope I can return without any troubles.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
savageskeeter said:
I deal with Gary at British cycle all the time, super great guy to deal with...however, he has confided in me a lot of the frames and hardtails they sell have alignment issues. They have added the following disclamer on their website:
Please bear in mind that all tail sections and frames we sell for British bikes are manufactured with some offset to reflect the run of the rear chain, and thus are not intended to be symmetric. In addition, due to slight warpage caused by cooling after manufacture, long storage, and shipping, it is not unheard of for frames or tail sections to require some slight alignment during assembly of the motorcycle. As all of these items are made of mild steel which is quite malleable, this should not be much trouble to affect, and does not indicate a faulty frame or tail section, just normal manufacturing tolerances for this type of product.

Food for thought,
Matt
I agree....anything that is "custom" usually has to be tweeked to make it fit.....the triumph wizard tail section I got was a couple INCHES off....not acceptable...period.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
OK, well now I see first-person reports on this triumphwizard ..

like I said, all I had to go on was his ebay feedback, & there werent any recent closed listings of hardtails to cross-ref feedback .. and I had not heard any of these reports, or connected any of the alignment woes that have been discussed to this guy ..

it's downright shameful if he's not making it right with buyers, & even worse if he's continuing to sell known inadequate products, after problem reports ..

Thanks to everyone for telling of their problems, it helps all of us to get & keep this stuff out in the open ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
mattyoung52683 said:
I see Rask Cycle in PA offers one, put an email in to see about measurements. Anyone with experience through them? Thanks.

Young
I was at Rask's on Thursday. They had about half a dozen hardtail sections sitting on the floor. I know zilch about build quality, but they are in stock. I got there early, when they opened. The parts guy was late, so only the mail-order lady was on duty. She didn't know how to pull any parts, so I gave her my list and the box arrived today. It would have been nice to chat with the parts guy, I've heard he is helpfu.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Love em,,,Rask is cool,,, Been using them for the last 5 years,, The one time there was a credit card mistake, they fixed it with minimal BS..

mattyoung52683 said:
I see Rask Cycle in PA offers one, put an email in to see about measurements. Anyone with experience through them? Thanks.

Young

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
F.U.Jay said:
Love em,,,Rask is cool,,, Been using them for the last 5 years,, The one time there was a credit card mistake, they fixed it with minimal BS..
I ordered my parts on Thursday AM, and they arrived by Fri PM in MD, that's pretty decent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts