Jockey Journal Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with Goldy's assessment of modifying an OIF. I learned the hard way back in the 70's, thrashed my engine from the debris. After a rebuild, not as easily done back then in rural west texas, I found an earlier frame and chopped that.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Time for another update...most of us are waiting for the winter to just 'go away' here in Nova Scotia. Not that it's been a bad one so far this year, but by this time everybody is starting to get sick of it and ready for warmer weather. The old oil furnace has been chugging away in my garage during many's the daytime hour and things have been slowly getting done on the Triumph project. A lot of small stuff...centre stand, signal lights, cables, side covers are ether mounted, or ready for paint and I started work on the fuel tank too. Speaking of that, it was remarkably clean looking inside, but on closer inspection, I could see electric weld burns on the left side. After removing the cheap-ass paint and filler, I found that somebody had removed some dents by welding something to the side of the tank and pulling it out. In short, I don't trust any fuel tank that has been welded, so I've decided to put a Caswell liner kit into it. Better that than have a nice paint job ruined by a pinhole leak. The exhaust came in and was fitted up...these aftermarket things never fit like you want them to, but with some home-spun aluminum spacers the mufflers were finally clamped firmly in place. I'll get ready for paint after the liner is cured. It'll soon be time to start building a wiring harness as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hummm....It's going to take me a while to figgure out how this new format works. Anyhow, things can't stay the same forever and I guess we have to get used to it. I've been slowly tinkering away ay the Triumph project, not much 'picture worthy stuff, but I did get the paint work underway and clearcoat applied. Blue candy over silver metalflake.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok...I've been slowly picking away at the old Triumph. Completed the wiring harness this week, primed the oil pump, filled the tank and ran it up for the first time yesterday. Please excuse the long-winded video, but at least I finally got one to work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
nice job, they are painted fenders not s/s?.
i think the single carb' head model was called a Tiger for export models but a Trophy in the UK. why?. i would have thought Triumph could have traded on the Trophy model name with the association to that actor chap from the US.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes painted. The fenders on this one were originally chrome, but were peeling and to make matters worse had been sandblasted (or better, considering on how you look at it). These machines did come with painted fenders too, so in the interest of keeping costs down, the owner opted for paint. The single carb with high pipes got the "Trophy" title over here.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts