Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought an OIF 650 Triumph ...and I have no intention of changing the bike..( I'm too old for a rigid frame)...but I see this come up often...some people don't like the looks of a hard tailed OIF...

So my question is in most states...couldn't you just buy an aftermarket rigid frame..have DMV inspect the original bike..and just change it over...

I certainly think it could be done here...just a thought...

·
Registered
213 Posts
i'd do it and if anyone asks tell them the frame was wrecked and you switched it over with what you already had

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get a dye set and start stamping numbers, destroy the old frame.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Aftermarket frames are stamped with serial numbers and come with a "Manufacturers Statement of Origin". You take your title and your MSO to the DMV and you hand them over to them and they'll take it from there.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
in many states an aftermarket frame means you end up with a 2011 SPCN bike that requires turn signals instead of a old Triumph or Harley. If it was me I'd get it registered with that OIF frame as a Triumph, and then go ahead and buy a new frame and number punch set. the new frame will have a 17 digit MSO numbers on it, (usually way down under on the frame)

Now remember it is illegal to alter any serial numbers on a vehicle, so be careful and don't alter any of them, I feel it's best to preserve those numbers under several coats of primer and paint.
It is not illegal to record the engine numbers, your name or your address or phone number on that new frame it for your own records. I personally like the way it looks with just the model and engine number up on the neck like Triumph did.
That way you can remember which engine you want to use with the new frame. :)) hint, hint)

Ride safe and always obey the law.

·
Registered
432 Posts
in many states an aftermarket frame means you end up with a 2011 SPCN bike instead of a Triumph or Harley. If it was me I'd get it registered with that OIF frame as a Triumph, and then buy a new frame and number punch set. leave the 17 digit MSO numbers on the new frame,(usually way down under on the frame)

And remember it is legal to alter any serial numbers on a vehicle, so be careful and don't alter any of them,
but it's not illegal to record the engine numbers or your address or phone number on that frame it for your own records. I'd put the engine number up on the neck like Triumph did so you can see it.
That way you can remember which engine you want to use with the new frame. :)) hint, hint)
Pa. Is a pain in the ass to get anything registered, there enhanced inspection cost a bundle and yes you need 2011 specs on you bike if you go that direction. Turn signals, horn, etc.
I just bought a 66 triumph front loop, lower engine and title that all match. Everything else will be new, but will be titled a 66.
Every state Is different, be sure you know what's needed by your state before you get into a project you can't register. As for the OIF, I think in my state anything 1972 or later needs turnsignals and horn, even though it will look like a 50's bobber when you get done.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you're not going to hardtail it, the OIF is nice because you can get rid of everything under the seat. Great for cafe/ tracker bikes.

As far as an aftermarket frame with an MSO #'s and stamped Triumph #'s, as Tony suggested to "remember which engine goes in what frame", how do you think a cop with 1/2 a brain would see it? What story are you going to tell him when you get pulled over? I would think that stamping factory #'s in another frame constitutes altering #'s. But what do I know? I'm riding around on a bike who's frame #'s were ground off by some tweaker long ago.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hey guys...like I said just thinking out loud...I've had rigids...love the look...but the ride...the question was more towards how would the fuzz would look at this...but thanks for all the well thought out suggestions...It's always cheaper to think than to build...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
If you're not going to hardtail it, the OIF is nice because you can get rid of everything under the seat. Great for cafe/ tracker bikes.

As far as an aftermarket frame with an MSO #'s and stamped Triumph #'s, as Tony suggested to "remember which engine goes in what frame", how do you think a cop with 1/2 a brain would see it? What story are you going to tell him when you get pulled over? I would think that stamping factory #'s in another frame constitutes altering #'s. But what do I know? I'm riding around on a bike who's frame #'s were ground off by some tweaker long ago.
if your numbers have been ground off then that is a frame with "altered" numbers and is a felony in most states, But if I stamp the lyrics to "Stairway to Heaven" or my engine numbers on an aftermarket frame I have not altered any vin numbers.
and come on. do you suppose that you are going to get pulled over by a super cop that knows what every year frame on every manufacture of bikes looks like and he can spot an aftermarket frame then he looks at your registration and sees the same numbers on it the frame and the registration so he is going to assume you stamped those numbers on it? Really... you have cops like that around there?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've been told by many people that there are trained motorcycle specific task forces in places and NYC/ Long Island, and major bike events like Daytona, Laconia, Sturgis and others that do major checkpoints. Like I said I'm running a frame with no #'s. I try to avoid places like that but I'm just saying there is a possibility of getting busted.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
busted for what? the 17 digit MSO number is still on there. you might get a ticket for an unlicensed vehicle and have to go to DMV and have it re-registered but it's not a stolen or altered number frame.
Those task forces are mainly looking for stolen Harleys, not an old Triumph with a replacement frame, in California most cops knows that any modified frame (bolt on hard tail) bike is a SPCN but they choose to spend their 10 hours of law enforcement time trying to stop criminal behavior and unless you have a real anti-cop attitude they are not going to pull you off your currently licensed bike and impound it for having a replacement frame non-licensed SPCN bike.
Several of our regular customers are CHP and cops with custom bikes, I ask them point blank these questions all the time, Cops are just regular people, they know who is a bad guy and who ain't.
I've done the re-stamped MSO thing several times before. When you get pulled over your attitude is what is going to get you busted. This bike in the picture belongs to one of our customers that is a cop...

1 - 20 of 91 Posts